Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: "Old" vs "New" Ezra Brooks

That explains a lot. I have a bunch of brands that either say 4 years or no age statement and have always felt they tasted much richer than I would expect for that young a bourbon. Even my OGDs say 8 years. I have wondered if they made bourbon differently then or today the best stuff is saved for premium bottles. When did the glut end?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    That explains a lot. I have a bunch of brands that either say 4 years or no age statement and have always felt they tasted much richer than I would expect for that young a bourbon. Even my OGDs say 8 years. I have wondered if they made bourbon differently then or today the best stuff is saved for premium bottles. When did the glut end?
    You'll probably get better answers from others who are more familiar with the glut, but usually these things don't have clear beginings or endings. I think the glut is generally assumed to be in the late 70's and 1980's. However, I think it was a gradual shift from then to the boom of a few years ago. Some are predicting another glut in a couple of years. When a product has to age for 4-20 years, and is often purchased as an impulse buy, planning can be extemely challenging.

Virtuoso

I've never had older Ezra. I like the new stuff just fine, especially Old Ezra 101.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I thiit is more of the way they made bourbon, than the older whiskey in it.

Connoisseur

I've become a BIG fan of the Old Ezra 101 7yo bourbon. Smooth but a good flavor. I would love to find a bottle of the Old Ezra 15yo. I'll be that stuff is amazing.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I would love to find a bottle of the Old Ezra 15yo. I'll be that stuff is amazing.
    And you would be absolutely correct.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I've never had older Ezra. I like the new stuff just fine, especially Old Ezra 101.
    You would have loved it when it was a 15yo and sold for about $15. And came in a wooden box.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Ezra 15 was a personal favorite. The 12 was good too, though not as good and for more money. Its demise sort of marked the end of the glut whiskey era.

Virtuoso

Speaking of older bourbons, I don't have much experience with anything outside of current bottles but the few older one's I've tried seem to have a distinct flavor that is absent from current offerings. It's like a rich, spice-cake sort of flavor. It's not necessarily better than what's currently available, just different. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, is that common or am I imagining things?
    I had the opportunity to compare ER101 to ERSB today. While I think BT has come up with something very good and worthy of the name, it's nothing like the old ER.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Speaking of older bourbons, I don't have much experience with anything outside of current bottles but the few older one's I've tried seem to have a distinct flavor that is absent from current offerings. It's like a rich, spice-cake sort of flavor. It's not necessarily better than what's currently available, just different. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, is that common or am I imagining things?
    I had the opportunity to compare ER101 to ERSB today. While I think BT has come up with something very good and worthy of the name, it's nothing like the old ER.
    I have about 2 doz "pre-government warning" bourbons and all seem to have this rich flavor you are speaking of regardless of mashbill or distillery or age. This is why I like them. I have wondered if it is the result of some chemical change that bourbon undergoes as it sits for a long time in the bottle or a difference in the distilling process or even in the barrel making process.