Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Anything in Cedar Rapids, IA?

Have found myself here for the night. Any "must" stores, bars or restaurants?
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Disciple

Re: Anything in Cedar Rapids, IA?

I don't want to tread some of this ground again, but there is a winery/distillery that makes a bourbon. Cedar Ridge Vinyards I believe is the name, and there is a restaurant as well. I've never been, and haven't sampled anything from a store, so I can't tell you if it's worthwhile or not. It's probably a 15 minute drive from CR.

Enthusiast

I don't get to CR much. You can check out Benz Beverage Depot. They have a good selection for Iowa and also have a lot of unique food, wine, and other spirits. I've never been to Cedar Ridge Winery/Distillery but I've heard good things, and you can get food there so why not!

Disciple

How badly did CR get hit with rain/flooding last night? Looks like the worst of it was toward Dubuque / Clinton / QC.

Enthusiast

Actually was in town to meet with the Cedar Ridge folks. I'll be wholesaling their distillates in my state. As for weather, they were hit by some weather on Tuesday night. It ripped some panels and bent poles of their event tent, and knocked around some empty barrels.

I dropped in at Benz, and - while a nice store - was underwhelmed with their Bourbon selection. Ended up having dinner at Zins. Nice enough place, with an ambitious beverage program. The food tried to be as ambitious, but was ho-hum.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Enthusiast

I havn't been to Benz in a few years. There are only about 2 stores in all of Iowa with a commendable bourbon selection.