Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Novice

Re: Green Spot Irish Whiskey

That's disappointing. Thanks for all the information everyone. I guess I will try the Redbreast 12.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Motomag View Post
    That's disappointing. Thanks for all the information everyone. I guess I will try the Redbreast 12.
    Redbreast 12 is a classic Irish whiskey and every bit as good as Green Spot with the added benefit of being easy to find and much less expensive. Buy a bottle and enjoy!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

What Green Spot has, and Redbreast 12, is 100% pure pot still whiskey. Powers has 70%, so for all practical purposes, it is a big-bodied traditional Dublin whiskey. I'd get that one pending obtaining Green Spot - plus, irrespective (partly) of the pot still component, it tastes great, and is about 1/4 the cost of Green Spot.

Gary

Taster

Not to change the subject, but we [in PA] just got in John L Sullivan. I don't know anything about it other than the label says it is smooth.
    My go to is Bushmill's and if it is like Jameson's, I'll pass. Anyone tried it?
    To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
    Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Walker View Post
    Not to change the subject, but we [in PA] just got in John L Sullivan. I don't know anything about it other than the label says it is smooth.
    My go to is Bushmill's and if it is like Jameson's, I'll pass. Anyone tried it?
    I have not had it, but it is from Cooley i bet, which means it is malt, and probably good malt. But it is a far cry from pure pot still. I like redbreast but it is not nearly as good as powers. On a side note. We at FLD are releasing this fall a green label Mckenzie whiskey. It is what would be pure pot still from Ireland. Aged in used barrels, some sherry finish. It tastes amazing. Has a lot of the tastes of Powers. It is 90 percent unmalted barley, the rest is malt.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I have not had it, but it is from Cooley i bet, which means it is malt, and probably good malt. But it is a far cry from pure pot still. I like redbreast but it is not nearly as good as powers. On a side note. We at FLD are releasing this fall a green label Mckenzie whiskey. It is what would be pure pot still from Ireland. Aged in used barrels, some sherry finish. It tastes amazing. Has a lot of the tastes of Powers. It is 90 percent unmalted barley, the rest is malt.
    I think it is yet another one of the seemingly endless private label whiskeys with Cooley malt in it. This one (like many others, Tom) is a blend if I remember correctly. (I have a bottle but it is not at my house at the moment.) As I recall, it is good, not great or bad.
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I like redbreast but it is not nearly as good as powers. On a side note. We at FLD are releasing this fall a green label Mckenzie whiskey. It is what would be pure pot still from Ireland. Aged in used barrels, some sherry finish. It tastes amazing. Has a lot of the tastes of Powers. It is 90 percent unmalted barley, the rest is malt.
    Redbreast not nearly as good as Powers? Hmm, I'm guessing you'd be in the minority on that one, though I agree Powers is an excellent whiskey and much more affordable. Looking forward to your green label release this fall.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Novice

Thanks for the recommendation of powers. Is everyone talking about the powers gold label or the powers 12 year?

I take it the powers 12 is just the older expression of the gold label.

How is the powers 12 compared to the redbreast 12?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I was referring to the regular Powers Gold Label. This is the classic version. I've tried the Powers 12 years old version and found it a little too woody, of course some people like that.

In my view again, recent bottlings of Redbreast 12 are somewhat lacking, not woody but thin and blandish. The Redbreast 15 years old, harder to find, reminds me more of what Redbreast 12 was in the past, heavy and oily.

Personally there are three Irish whiskeys I return to: regular Powers, regular Jameson and Connemara.

Gary

Disciple

Gary,

Regular Jameson is such an amazingly consistent product. I know I'm in trouble when I find myself in a bar and they don't have at least Jameson. That has happened it PA before and I suddenly realized that all the bottles were plastic!
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination