Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Green Spot Irish Whiskey

Well that's interesting Robert! But it's also got a great flavour. About 10 years ago it went IMO through a pallid period (like Picasso's blue period maybe ) but for some years it's been a solid performer with a good mix of minty pot still character and smooth grain whisky qualities.

Gary

Guru

Some folks knock Jameson because it's so common, for lack of a better word. The fact that you can find it in nearly every decent bar in the US shouldn't dissuade anyone from trying/enjoying it. Jameson is great Irish whiskey and for many Irish drinkers remains the benchmark by which all others are compared. Obviously, there are better (and more exciting) Irish whiskies out there, but for good standard fare it's hard to beat.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Taster

Just the other day I heard from a friend who is in Europe. She's bringing me a bottle of Green Spot! I can't wait to try it side-by-side with my Redbreasts.

Jon

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Well that's interesting Robert! But it's also got a great flavour. About 10 years ago it went IMO through a pallid period (like Picasso's blue period maybe ) but for some years it's been a solid performer with a good mix of minty pot still character and smooth grain whisky qualities.

Gary
    I came across a review on another site and the individual gave it relatively low marks of "70" due to a generally uninteresting experience. The dominate quality was "pear" so this makes me wonder if the bottle came from the "pallid period" you note?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

No I don't think so, the current one has a pear quality I would say plus a refreshing, minty note. Tastes differ, to me it is a superb product.

Gary

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I was a tasting event last night and this was on the table. I liked it - very light in color, sweet with pleasant grass notes. If it was available in the US, I would have a bottle on my bar.

Taster

My friend returned to the States with a 200 mL bottle of Green Spot. I was surprised to see that the label actually stated 200 mL, instead of 20 cL.

I'll be opening this one before the end of the year. If the rumors about Green Spot coming to the States are true, then I won't be out of stock for too long.