Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hey there from St. Joe, Mo

I joined this site a few months ago and have been digesting a lot of knowledge and am very much enjoying it. Thanks in advance for more knowledge and wonderful discussion. Let me introduce myself (and ask a couple of questions).

My name is James and I currently live in St. Joseph, MO. I travel for a living (working with computers) and so get to enjoy many interesting places in our fine country.

While I have also enjoyed whiskey, I have only lately been more intrigued by bourbon. Makers Mark is one of my favorites. I recently completed the Kentucky Bourbon trail and found I like many varieties of bourbon (I bought at least one bottle at each stop...so will be having a great summer). During the trail, I learned some basics about tasting and have since abondoned my old favorite drink of bourbon and seven up (I now drink bourbon on the rocks).

My questions to start are these:
    1. How do you "train" your pallete to understand what flavors you are tasting? I often see tasting notes with "cinnamon" or flowery nodes, but I am not sure that is what I am tasting. Is there a good way to train myself to pick up these flavors?

2. I like my bourbon cold, but I understand that adding ice changes the flavor of the bourbon as it melts. Does anyone keep their bourbon in the freezer to keep it cold and therefore drink it without ice? I have not tried this, but have contemplated it.

Thanks again for all the wonderful information and I hope to be a better contributor into the future.

James

Virtuoso

Re: Hey there from St. Joe, Mo

Welcome!

Drink your whiskey the way you like it and make mental notes about what you're tasting. After awhile you may find that some members pick up the same things that you do but have different names for them. That particular eucalyptus/menthol/mint thing that some Heaven Hill has is a great example. I don't think it's exactly any of those things, but we know what we mean by those words when we say them. It's not perfect, but it helps.

As for the freezer, give it a shot, it won't hurt anything. It's not what I would do, but then, your bottle isn't sitting in front of me waiting to be drunk (I really miss the bibulous grammarian).

Roger

Virtuoso

Welcome James - I've heard of some keeping a bottle in the freezer, but I haven't done it. I have this summer, however, kept a bottle in the refrigerator which is usually 36-37 deg F, and let it warm in the glass over time.
    Mark

Disciple

Welcome. I keep all of my bourbons in the freezer. I originally did it because I liked it cold and didn't like using ice because it would be watered down by the end. Now I do it to conserve space more than anything.

As far as "training" yourself to sense flavors, try cutting your drink with water. I didn't like the flavors as much when they were diluted, but I found them easier to identify. As I "trained", I found I needed less and less water over time.

Virtuoso

Jimmy Russell says he keeps a bottle of Rare Breed in the freezer, and who are we to doubt him/

Last year I drove through St. Joseph and visited the Glore Psychiatric Museum for the second time. That place is both education and creepy, a wonderful combination. Maybe next time I'll finally get around to that Jesse James house.

Hi James welcome to the site, you can keep a bottle in the fridge or freezer it won't hurt it any. I don't waste a lot of time chasing down taste in bourbon when they come to me they do if not that's fine. Parker Beam says if your bourbon taste like something other than bourbon there is something wrong with it.

I live just up the road from you in Clarinda IA maybe we can get together for a drink some time. We also have started a facebook page Iowa Whisk(e)y Club come check it out. It's in it very infancy stages so don't expect much.

Enjoy your time here come join us in chat some time we have a great time there. Post a lot ask as many questions as you want and have fun.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Thanks for all the welcomes. It definitely sounds like I should try the old freezer stuff.

I will definitely be more involved in the boards and will be checking out the invite in Iowa. I travel a couple times a year to a plant in Fort Dodge, IA, so Clarinda is not too far off the path.

BTW....I finished off a handle of Jim Beam black a few weeks ago and was looking through my stash to figure out my next bottle (I am opening 1 at a time)...when I noticed that the BOTM was MM 46. So....I opened it last night and thought it was very, very good. I am partial to MM anyway.

Virtuoso

Hmmm.... St. Joseph, Fort Dodge... do you work for a Swiss company?

Novice

Nope it is an American company called Silgan Containers. We make food grade metal containers. You see them on the shelf as Campbells soup, Del Monte vegetables, Friskies pet food, etc. We make the cans and then sell them to all these other companies.

Virtuoso

The only time I've been to Fort Dodge I was doing some work at the Nestle Purina plant, so that's why I guessed it. I guess they may be a customer, though. Probably the Nestle cat food plant in Jefferson, Wisconsin, too.