Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handles?

Handles?

I was running the numbers in my head the other day at the store and it is much more economical to buy a handle instead of a fifth (especially on sale). Assuming it is a bourbon you know you will like and have space in the cabinet are there any drawbacks to a handle? Does the extra air in the bottle cause issues when it gets low?

Connoisseur

Re: Handles?

I use handles for Bourbons I drink regularly. I use it to refill an empty fifth bottle so it doesn't take up so much room on the shelf.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Unless you're extremely sensitive to it, oxidation damage takes years to develop in a partially full bottle. Presumably you are contemplating the purchase of handles because you go through those products pretty quickly.

I don't buy a lot of handles, but always have one of Very Old Barton BIB on hand.

Novice

There is always a handle of Forty Creek Barrel Select in my liquor cabinet.

750ml x 12 bottles = 9 liters @ $222.02
    1.75L X 6 bottes = 10.5 liters @ $221.03

If I'm buying by the case that's a free* 1.5 liters and a savings of $0.99 to boot.

* Your wife might not find this "free", mine doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Unless you're extremely sensitive to it, oxidation damage takes years to develop in a partially full bottle. Presumably you are contemplating the purchase of handles because you go through those products pretty quickly.

I don't buy a lot of handles, but always have one of Very Old Barton BIB on hand.

Not sure how quickly I will go through them, but I have bought handles of EJ12, WT101 and Dickel 12 recently when they were on sale. They are 3 of my favorite everyday pours.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by hambone View Post
    Not sure how quickly I will go through them, but I have bought handles of EJ12, WT101 and Dickel 12 recently when they were on sale. They are 3 of my favorite everyday pours.
    Your other option is to pour off the remainder of your handle into a 1 liter bottle to help minimize the effects of long term oxidation......
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

Handles always seem to disappear faster than 750s around here. The mentality is: "You've got a whole handle, drink up my friend."

Guru

I've never seen anything in a handle that I wanted to drink.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I'm with you Oscar. Here in WA they never stock anything but bottom shelf juice in handles. The few 1.75s I have were purchased elsewhere. I only have a few: Weller 12, OWA and SW Old Fitz(see a trend here).

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Rob has a handle on his counter that may change your mind.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?