Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 8/11: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

but we all know I"m weird anyway!
    Stu, I am very sorry I missed "Understatement Day" which apparently occurred on the Ninth of August in the year of our Lord 2011.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Hmm, I was thinking there were three, but I'm not going to question the tree.

At the distillery, they show bottles of White, Black, Devil's Cut, KC, BH, Booker's, and Bakers. Each has the raw grains in them in proportion to the actual mashbill used. I asked to see each, and thought I remembered seeing three, but my memory can't be trusted.
    Feel free to question the tree all you want, I won't take it personally! If you or anyone else has facts the may contradict what is on that tree, please post them there.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Normal KCSBR is not something I'll be purchasing again.

It's hot, spicy, cinnamon red hots, with a promise of something possibly nice and sweet, but never fulfils.

I think this will become my next mixer bourbon.

Virtuoso

Now that I've finished a second bottle, I'll say this...I like KCSBR. I don't think it's a big leap better than the regular offering. I like that it's 120 proof and I think it does have a bit more flavor... but I don't think it's worth $40.00 for the slight improvment over the regular expression.

Connoisseur

I'm not sure whether to chalk this up to differences in opinion on Beam, or variations inherit on Single Barrel bourbons, but like several others, I found this to be amazingly good compared with the somewhat tepid reviews of most here.

Yes, the alcohol is a bit much on the nose of it, but I chalked that up to the higher proof. Definitely vanilla and Maple Syrup dominate the nose with a bit of dark fruit.

It is a bit disappointing that the vanilla does not come through on the pallate anywhere as near as clearly as it does on the nose, but caramel, and the maple syrup is definitely there before settling down with some Oak and peppery spices on the back end, with just a hint of the black licorice that I like so much about Jim Beam Black (just much less of it).

The finish is short and finally gives you a hint of that vanilla that the nose promised. A little burn, but not much.

Of my "everyday" bourbons, this and WTRB currently hold a special spot as what I look forward to on a Friday night to celebrate the end of the week.

Virtuoso

All else being equal, do you guys prefer KCSB or Booker's? The reason I ask is that both are on sale near me but I'll probably only be buying one or the other.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    All else being equal, do you guys prefer KCSB or Booker's? The reason I ask is that both are on sale near me but I'll probably only be buying one or the other.
    I prefer the KCSB.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I also prefer the KCSB. The Bookers had a syrupy quality that I didn't care for and was the first product that I noticed the famed Beam "yeasty" taste that I had previously never noticed myself. The $18 or so price difference only help further tip the scales in favor of KCSB.

Advanced Taster

Personally, I prefer the Booker's over the KCSB, but the preference is slight. I've tasted the two along with Baker's head to head (to head) and found that the similarities among them really overwhelmed their differences. That said, Booker's has a wonderful caramel, chocolate, and peanut combination that really reminds me of a tasty candy bar, and that's why I prefer it to the others.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Virtuoso

Thanks, guys.

--Matt
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.