Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 8/11: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

Wasn't particularly impressed when I tried it. I found the alcohol to be too hot for a high proof bourbon. The heat and burn I experienced were not pleasant sensations in my opinion.

Guru

Great premise... but, alas, much ado about not so much.

Better than the regular KC --- but only.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

I must have got honey barrel because mine is outstanding. The nose has carmel and vanilla and some wood. The color is a dark clover honey brown with orange highlights. The mouth feel is much like the regular KC. But the burn ripples from the front to the back (think VW). And the caramel and vanilla are still there along with some mint and mapley syrup. I am very happy with this bourbon, on par with many of the top names in bourbon. It is a Single barrel product and I would not be surprised with some barrel to barrel variation but mine is a outstanding pour.
    Last edited by HipFlask; 08-06-2011 at 20:17.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    Are all the Beam bourbons the same mash bill?
    As far as the small batch bourbons from Beam go, there are three mashbills. In addition to the KC, Basil Hayden carries the highest rye content, while Booker's and Bakers share the third.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    As far as the small batch bourbons from Beam go, there are three mashbills. In addition to the KC, Basil Hayden carries the highest rye content, while Booker's and Bakers share the third.
    Not according to our very own Whiskey Tree. Baker's, Booker's, and Knob Creek all share the same basic (lower rye) Beam mash bill; of the four "small batch" bourbons, only Basil Hayden's has a different mash bill.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    Not according to our very own Whiskey Tree. Baker's, Booker's, and Knob Creek all share the same basic (lower rye) Beam mash bill; of the four "small batch" bourbons, only Basil Hayden's has a different mash bill.
    Hmm, I was thinking there were three, but I'm not going to question the tree.

At the distillery, they show bottles of White, Black, Devil's Cut, KC, BH, Booker's, and Bakers. Each has the raw grains in them in proportion to the actual mashbill used. I asked to see each, and thought I remembered seeing three, but my memory can't be trusted.

Disciple

Here's what I said about my first sips of a Binny's bottling back in June on the "What Bourbon are you Drinking" thread...

The Binny's bottling of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve which is just outstanding. This is on the same level for me as other great releases of the past year such as the BTACs, FR barrel strengths and PHC wheater. I brought her down tonight to about 90 proof and it's still thick enough you could cut the peanuts and chocolate out with a knife.

I have since finished the bottle and I must say my enthusiasm for it died down as I progressed through it. It started to become a bit one dimensional meaning the dark flavors continued to dominate with not as much subtlety as I thought. Still it is a very good bourbon, a notch above the regular bottling and I plan to buy another which is an endorsement from me. As an added benefit, if I'm not using rye, Knob Creek is my favorite bourbon to use in a Manhatttan and the Single Barrel Reserve is that much better to use in one also.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

I found a bottle in Little Rock and claimed possession. Unlike some folks on the site, I like Beam products. My comments: First, this isn't a true single barrel. Otherwise we'd have barrel numbers on our bottles, and no two would be exactly alike. If they are actually bottling it as a SB, that explains the wide disparity among the comments on the board, but why don't they let us know which barrel we're drinking from?

As to the nose and taste, I did not find enough difference between SB and regular KC to warrant the price difference. I enjoyed them both (side by side). SB was obviously stronger, but in some ways I enjoyed the flavor of regular better than SB. I doubt that I'll be in a hurry to buy another, at least not until they are willing to tell me which barrel I'm drinking from. (but I always try to keep KC, JB black, Baker's , and - to the horror of many on this board - Basil Hayden on hand. but we all know I"m weird anyway!
    There's no such thing as bad whiskey, there's only over priced whiskey.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    First, this isn't a true single barrel. Otherwise we'd have barrel numbers on our bottles, and no two would be exactly alike. If they are actually bottling it as a SB, that explains the wide disparity among the comments on the board, but why don't they let us know which barrel we're drinking from?
    Actually, there are at least a few single barrel bourbons on the market without any obvious barrel info (e.g., Eagle Rare 10 SB, Elmer T Lee). I'm fairly confident that KCSB is in fact a single barrel bourbon, just like any other. The wide variation in tastes for it might be due to variation among the barrels, as you suggest, or just due to variation in how much everyone likes a Beam product.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Apprentice

I was really looking forward to the release of KCSBR earlier this spring because I like regular KC. Tasting the two offferings side by side, I still preferred the regular KC.

Tonight I stopped by Party Source and they have their own KCSBR bottling. I did not pick up a bottle, but may have to stop by soon and get one to try.