Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 8/11: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

Sorry I'm late this month. There goes the streak.

I have a few reasons for making KCSBR the BOTM.

(In no particular order.)
    #1. I though it was time to give something from the Jim Beam Distillery a whirl.
    #2. It's a newer product, and most of the talk has died down about this bottling. (re: MM last month)
    #3. It's getting a bit tough to try and come up with something for the BOTM that hasn't been done before, and be one that has a wide release and can be purchased, enjoyed and discussed by the majority of members here on the board.

I am always open to suggestions for the BOTM. To be honest, there have been members that have made some good suggestions that I have used. So.... keep those cards and letters rolling in folks. In other words, feel free to PM me with any suggestions.

Now, without any more , the BOTM.

Here are my thoughts FWIW.

I have to give Jim Beam credit for trying to come up with a new and different product, but to be honest, I was a little disappointed in this bourbon. Higher proof. Yes. More flavor. Maybe a little. The nose was promising. Smoke & oak for sure, with a bit of something fruity or sweet that I just couldn't put my finger on. I didn't get any of the nutty, caramel, vanilla nose or taste that the Beam website touts though. There was a hot, and odd spicy flavor in the bottle I had. Instead of a nutty flavor, it was more like when you accidentally eat a piece of the shell. The fruity/sweetness, that was there in the nose, seemed to taste like an odd/bad cake frosting instead of vanilla or caramel. Beam yeast???? The finish was hot and fairly long, but the high proof/alcohol covered up most of the flavor on the finish. I will say that while I didn't really enjoy drinking this neat or with a few cubes, I thought it was pretty good with some Coke. I dunno. Maybe I had a "off" bottle.

Post away folks. Let's get your thoughts on KCSBR. Cheers! Joe
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 08-03-2011 at 16:45.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Re: BOTM 8/11: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

1. Cap Ripken's 2632 consecutive games played streak
    2. Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak
    3. Fishnbowljoe's consecutive on time BOTM streak

All good things must come to an end sometime!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good thoughts, Joe. I felt my bottle was quite similar to regular Knob Creek but just more intense on all counts except it showed the Beam signature flavour very clearly. Regular KC seems to downplay it usually (that mushroom/vegetable/yeast-like taste). It's a good value factoring the proof and age but I can't see buying it again.

I'd like to echo thoughts on another thread that it would be very interesting to see a Beam bourbon released at 12-15 years old as some was back in the 1960's and 70's.

Gary

Connoisseur

I've seen this listed on line for $37, but I believe it was even a bit higher at a few of rhe retailers where I saw it in person. Maybe I'd try it if I found a 50ml bottle, or a good sale. Are all the Beam bourbons the same mash bill? My impression is that they start the same, but differ in age, proof, some are single barrel.

Connoisseur

Picked up a bottle of Binny's private barrel (#4) of this stuff. Have not cracked it yet. My assumption is it will be a cut above the standard bottling.

Has anyone tried any of the KCSBR private barrel offerings from Binny's? Thoughts or comparisons between the Binny's barrels?
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Connoisseur

I posted elsewhere that the one pour of KCSB I had a in a bar reminded me way too much of Jim Beam Black at barrel strength. I'm not sure I want to drop $40+ to see if my initial impression was correct.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

I like the standard KC quite well. I like the SBR even better. No, it isn't a spectacular bourbon, but it is very good bourbon that I enjoy frequently.

Maybe I'm one of the oddballs that likes the flavor profile of Beam products. I do think the SBR is a tad pricey, though.

Disciple

I dont mind standard KC, never buy it for home. I did go through 2 bottles of this and thought they were pretty good.

I have not gone back and bought anymore in months mostly because that "why am I paying $40 for that?" alarm went off in my head every time I looked at it on the shelf.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Virtuoso

I haven't done extensive comparisons yet, but my experience so far is that the Julio's bottling was far superior to a standard KCSBR bought at the same store. Blind I would have thought they were completely different bourbons ... I much preferred the Julio's selection - it reminded me of the FR 2009 Ltd. Ed.
    Mark

Advanced Taster

I like my bottle of KCSB, though I'm not in love with it. It's straight-up Beam in the end, which is fine by me, though it plays a slightly different note to the other two Small Batch bottlings that use the Beam mash bill. I liken the KCSB to dark chocolate, whereas Booker's strikes me as more of a candy bar and Baker's is cashew brittle. Or something like that. Anyway, here are my notes, for what they're worth.

Nose: cocoa, cherries, peppermint, and cinnamon. It is oaky, buttery, and, like Joe thought, yeasty.

Palate: slightly astringent, hot, and spicy. There's also orange peel, chocolate, banana, and a streak of molten cinnamon.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.