Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Woodford Master Cask Rye

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Which is actually kind of funny in itself. Herradura is owned by Brown-Forman, which also owns Jack Daniels, whose used barrels are used to age Herradura, which is now going to be used to age/finish WR??

And yes, WR is also in the B-F stable of brands also.

Whooow.....talk about coming full circle and recycling. At least the barrels probably are not completely spent by the time the come around to WR again, but they can't have that much oomph left in them.

Man, how cheap are they not to buy new barrels!!!

B
    My thoughts exactly. From Jack, to Herradura, to Woodford?? Quite the sordid menage a trois

Advanced Taster

... At least the barrels probably are not completely spent by the time the come around to WR again, but they can't have that much oomph left in them.
    B
    I can't speak to the used tequila barrels, but used barrels for the rye whiskey (no doubt used bourbon barrels) is interesting. Remember that Scotch whisky, and Irish whiskey I believe, are all aged in used bourbon barrels. Some Canadian whisky is also aged in used Bourbon barrels.

It may give the rye whiskey a distinct flavor.

Guru

Which is actually kind of funny in itself. Herradura is owned by Brown-Forman, which also owns Jack Daniels, whose used barrels are used to age Herradura, which is now going to be used to age/finish WR??

And yes, WR is also in the B-F stable of brands also.

Whooow.....talk about coming full circle and recycling. At least the barrels probably are not completely spent by the time the come around to WR again, but they can't have that much oomph left in them.

B
    I have never heard of whiskey aged in tequila barrels. Is there a taste profile they are looking for in the finish? I can't imagine what tequila would add...
    Are there other examples of tequila barrels used for a whiskey?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    I can't speak to the used tequila barrels, but used barrels for the rye whiskey (no doubt used bourbon barrels) is interesting. Remember that Scotch whisky, and Irish whiskey I believe, are all aged in used bourbon barrels. Some Canadian whisky is also aged in used Bourbon barrels.

It may give the rye whiskey a distinct flavor.

I'm just not sure that it would be a flavor that i'm looking for in my rye/bourbon.

While some well made, aged tequila products do contain similar, complementary flavor notes to bourbon, they also have that distinct tequila "note" that i'm just not into that much.

I think I'd like to try this before buying.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

And tequila is originally aged in used bourbon barrels. So rye aged in a barrel that first contained bourbon, then tequila follwed by rye.

Randy

Connoisseur

It was my understanding that they are making two types of rye one barrel entry 100 proof and the other with used cooperage and barrel entry of 86 proof and they were going to sell it as a single package of two 375 bottles. At least that is what Chris Morris was saying at the last Woodford Bourbon Academy.

Mike Veach

Virtuoso

Pictures just hit the internet

Apparently one is aged in new oak and the other in used oak
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Any new Rye that is not made at LDI is great news. (Even if it is overpriced.)

Enthusiast

If you zoom in on the pic a little you can barely read the New Cask is a Kentucky Straight Rye whiskey while the Aged Cask is Whiskey Distilled From Rye Mash. I'm interested to try both. Going into it I would think the aged cask might be lacking some of the colors and flavors the new barrels provide. I'm not sure why I think that but should be interesting enough to find out.
    Last edited by BradleyC; 09-06-2011 at 20:03.

Guru

Any idea of the age?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."