Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Pappy fall allocation

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I was talking to a clerk at a local store, and he mentioned that last year's allocation of premium bourbons, including Pappy and GTS was hijacked, which I knew about, and that hijackers also got three trailer loads of Dr. Pepper.

I shudder to think these hijackers may be drinking Pappy and Dr. Pepper cocktails.

I hope this year's allocation makes it through...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Really? It's come to this, hijacking high end bourbon deliveries?

Dr. Pepper was originally a Texas product I believe. Must still be pretty popular down there. The logistics of stealing a beverage truck, moving all the cans, and selling them for a profit are a little baffling to me unless you own vending machines or it's an insurance job.
    There are a few members in the Dallas/North Texas area that would be on my short list of suspects!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Guru

It would be easy to hijack such a vehicle with the help of someone who already drives, say, a beer truck for a living. If I only knew such a person.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It would be easy to hijack such a vehicle with the help of someone who already drives, say, a beer truck for a living. If I only knew such a person.
    When the liquor delivery guy is in the store I always jump in his truck to see if he has anything good but no luck.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Dr. Pepper was originally a Texas product I believe. Must still be pretty popular down there. The logistics of stealing a beverage truck, moving all the cans, and selling them for a profit are a little baffling to me unless you own vending machines or it's an insurance job.
    Yep. Saw a story yesterday that said the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex was "a hub of cargo theft." Damn idiots had better leave my Pappy alone this year. As far as I'm concerned, they can HAVE the Dr. Pepper.

Apparently, the thieves work fast and efficiently, as the empty trailers are usually found mere hours later.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Dr. Pepper was originally a Texas product I believe. .... The logistics of stealing a beverage truck, moving all the cans, and selling them for a profit are a little baffling to me ....
    Stealing trailers is big business and thieves already have distribution, especially if getting 3 trailers of Dr. Pepper. The Dr. Peppers probably went to convenience stores, vending machines, or vending at events. Though sometimes a beer truck is left unattended and somebody says, "hum, I'm thirsty" then the find the trailer in the woods or wrecked two miles down the road.

Dr. Pepper website says formula originated in Texas, but some Virginians like to claim he took the recipe from Virginia - especially when there's a Texan around willing to argue about it.
    Last edited by B.B. Babington; 10-05-2011 at 17:55.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I shudder to think these hijackers may be drinking Pappy and Dr. Pepper cocktails.

This would be a bigger crime than the theft ...

Disciple

Dr. Pepper website says formula originated in Texas, but some Virginians like to claim he took the recipe from Virginia - especially when there's a Texan around willing to argue about it.
    My Dad was stationed in Ft Worth I think, in the late 60's for a bit after he was drafted in Nam.

The point is that I was told stories about how when they came back East they packed up a few cases of Dr. Pepper to bring with them because they liked it so much and you could not get it back here.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

Dr. Pepper was created in Waco, TX back in the 1880s. I went to Baylor for four years (plus one victory lap year) and never went to the Dr. Pepper museum in downtown Waco. Everything at Baylor is Dr. Pepper...not a Coke to be found in any vending machine.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    Dr. Pepper was created in Waco, TX back in the 1880s. I went to Baylor for four years (plus one victory lap year) and never went to the Dr. Pepper museum in downtown Waco. Everything at Baylor is Dr. Pepper...not a Coke to be found in any vending machine.
    I lived in Ft. Worth for three years (in fact will be there next week) and learned to love Dr. Pepper. If you order a soda you will get Dr. Pepper there unless you specify coke, etc. I had a friend who worked there and he would get me seconds for $1 a case. He said Dr. P got it's name from a soda jerk who was trying to win the pharmacist's daughter's heart so he named a new drink after her father.

...I was told stories about how when they came back East they packed up a few cases of Dr. Pepper to bring with them because they liked it so much and you could not get it back here.
    Depends on where in the east. Carolinas and Virginia have long history of Dr. Pepper consumption. Roanoke Virginia prides itself on the neon star over the city and it's old "10 2 4" Dr. Pepper sign. The sign is no longer the same original sign, but the replacement is still an icon. Southwest Virginia consumes a lot of Dr. Pepper. Google: Dr. Pepper Capital of the World