Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Pappy fall allocation

Talked to my usual retailer today, and he says they are no longer sure we will get any Pappy in the DFW area this year. Phooey!
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    Talked to my usual retailer today, and he says they are no longer sure we will get any Pappy in the DFW area this year. Phooey!
    That's unreal for that market, no way that is true.

Disciple

There's still a bottle of 23 on sale in West Lafayette, IN for $310. It's from 2010 or before.

Virtuoso

To anyone else who might be heading out this weekend looking for VW, TPS and CNB sold out Friday morning. Employees at TPS said they had people camped out at 5 a.m., and one guy at CNB said none of the bottles ever hit the shelf!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

I heard TPS was 40 people deep at 7:30 for a 8:00 opening.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    And sold out at 11am.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post

And sold out at 11am.
    Good grief.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

I had been emailing Jay at Party Source all week ablout the VW release. It was first come first serve Friday 8am, one bottle total. I voiced my displeasure a bit as this sort of screws people with jobs. Why no Satuday 8am release? He emailed me to check Saturday morning as the VW never sells out as fast as the BTAC, WRONG! He also mentioned in the email holding a little back for a future online/shipped only release like they did with the BTAC-this is how I got my Stagg. Yesterday, in person, he proceeds to tell me something completely different. Keep checking because we are quietly going to stick some in the case in a few weeks. No online order???? I live over an hour away, I guess I'm suppposed to drive down everyday to check. They aren't always forthcoming over the phone with their stock. I get a little upset when told one thing one day, and something else two days later.

And on another note, I understand the crazy price increase with each release of Pappy, but all VW is not Pappy,why is the BT/VW 10 years increasing so much as well. Shouldnt the supply of the 10 year, and soon the 12 also, be increasing as more of the BT wheat juice is ready for VW to choose from? Is 10/107 worth $50, when it was $30-35 in the spring? Is lotB worth $75 when it was $50-55 in the spring. I love both of these, but you can now get 2 Weller 12s for the price of a 10/107, and 3 for the cost of a lot B.

As described in a thread last week, Van Winkle is the bourbon-lotB- that got me "hooked" on bourbon. Now it is pricing itself out of range.
    Last edited by clingman71; 11-13-2011 at 07:13.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Shouldnt the supply of the 10 year, and soon the 12 also, be increasing as more of the BT wheat juice is ready for VW to choose from? Is 10/107 worth $50, when it was $30-35 in the spring? Is lotB worth $75 when it was $50-55 in the spring. I love both of these, but you can now get 2 Weller 12s for the price of a 10/107, and 3 for the cost of a lot B.
    Here are some of the same questions I have: I don't understand why there's not more 10/107 and 10/90. BT is a big outfit, no? I suppose there's some business theory that says if they make/release more, the mystique will go away and sales will drop?

I guess I do understand the price increase, I suppose. Who doesn't like to make money? I used to pick up those Rips for under $30, and that's when they were probably SW, but if we're all buying, I can't blame BT or VW or whoever for selling them for what we'll pay.

But speaking of money, you are right on the money when you reference Weller 12. Yes, I know Mr. Van Winkle gets first choice of the barrels for Lot B, and presumably even for the two Rip bourbons. Is Lot B better than Weller 12? I don't know. But I do know I have never had any kind of problem with any of the Weller 12's I've bought for $19.99 before tax. They taste great. Once in a while pour a tiny dollop of WLW in with the Weller 12, and it's even richer.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Here are some of the same questions I have: I don't understand why there's not more 10/107 and 10/90. BT is a big outfit, no? I suppose there's some business theory that says if they make/release more, the mystique will go away and sales will drop?

I guess I do understand the price increase, I suppose. Who doesn't like to make money? I used to pick up those Rips for under $30, and that's when they were probably SW, but if we're all buying, I can't blame BT or VW or whoever for selling them for what we'll pay.

But speaking of money, you are right on the money when you reference Weller 12. Yes, I know Mr. Van Winkle gets first choice of the barrels for Lot B, and presumably even for the two Rip bourbons. Is Lot B better than Weller 12? I don't know. But I do know I have never had any kind of problem with any of the Weller 12's I've bought for $19.99 before tax. They taste great. Once in a while pour a tiny dollop of WLW in with the Weller 12, and it's even richer.
    I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a few bottles of ORVW this past spring when I found a shelf full at Total Wine. Had no idea it would be this tough to acquire in the very near future! Oh, well. Like you said, Weller 12 is plentiful and delicious so we really shouldn't complain. But still ...
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay