Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Re: Pappy fall allocation

Quote Originally Posted by BroInBourbonMD View Post
    Sorry pal....I was #2 in line and got the second of the 2 decantur sets. Not too brag, but the thing is sweet! Haven't opened it, and convinced my wife to let me display it on my office trophy case! This one my stay sealed for awhile. The letter says that it has 114 proof juice verse the normal 95.6 PVW23. Is this common for the decantur set or new for this year?
    Sorry to bump in from a different angle here - there's more decanters? I thought it was a one-time thing.

Enthusiast

Sorry pal....I was #2 in line and got the second of the 2 decantur sets. Not too brag, but the thing is sweet! Haven't opened it, and convinced my wife to let me display it on my office trophy case! This one my stay sealed for awhile. The letter says that it has 114 proof juice verse the normal 95.6 PVW23. Is this common for the decantur set or new for this year?

You knew of the decanter and also bought it for that price without knowing that minimal info? Wow.

It was a very limited edition that was not released this year and was a one time deal for that and the first time it was bottled at not the regular 23yr old bottle proof.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RegChumpington View Post
    Sorry to bump in from a different angle here - there's more decanters? I thought it was a one-time thing.
    It was a one time thing, somehow partysource got a couple extras from the one years ago. There is no new decanter.

Quote Originally Posted by autiger23 View Post
    It was a one time thing, somehow partysource got a couple extras from the one years ago. There is no new decanter.
    That's what I thought. I was hoping maybe it had come back - I had a 2oz sample from a very generous friend but thought maybe there was a chance to experience more. Thanks for the info.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by awachatz View Post
    The question I have is can you taste any difference between the version with SW juice and the version with BT juice?
    I have not opened the new 2011 bottle yet.

One of my friends, however, did a side by side and could tell a slight difference. Nothing drastic though.

I can ask his permission to post his tasting notes here if you'd like.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    I have not opened the new 2011 bottle yet.

One of my friends, however, did a side by side and could tell a slight difference. Nothing drastic though.

I can ask his permission to post his tasting notes here if you'd like.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would be interested in reading his tasting notes if you get a chance to post them.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by autiger23 View Post
    You knew of the decanter and also bought it for that price without knowing that minimal info? Wow.

It was a very limited edition that was not released this year and was a one time deal for that and the first time it was bottled at not the regular 23yr old bottle proof.
    I'm only 6 months new to this whole wonderful world of bourbon and still have a lot to learn, but I thought the decanters were an annually released item? Do you mind please clarifying for me....was the decanter set itself a one time release or was the non-standard PVW23 proof juice the one time release?

Disciple

I'm only 6 months new to this whole wonderful world of bourbon and still have a lot to learn, but I thought the decanters were an annually released item? Do you mind please clarifying for me....was the decanter set itself a one time release or was the non-standard PVW23 proof juice the one time release?
    It was a one time limited edition release under the Old Rip Van Winkle label that came out in November 2009. You can read more about it in this thread here http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...+year+decanter
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Again, for clarification, it was a decanter set released in December of 09/January 2010. Old Rip Van Winkle 23 year old 114 proof , not Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 year old at 95.6 proof. Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

To add to my honorable friend's photos, see these threads on ORVW 23:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=13034

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=16601

To me, the Old Rip 23 set disproves the hypothesis that bourbon enthusiasts aren't ever suckered into buying bourbons just because they have fancy packaging.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog