Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Chewy Bourbons

Chewy Bourbons

There are specific bourbons that tend to make me chew when I drink them. My jaws just naturally start chewing, almost as if there is food is my mouth to swallow, which is quite an odd sensation.

Not all bourbons do this to me, only some, and I like every single one that makes me do that. That's not to say that I don't enjoy bourbons that don't make me chew, because I do, and there are some I consider great that don't make me chew, but I don't think I have ever had a bourbon I disliked that made me chew.

Am I just a weirdo or is this something that anyone else experiences? If so, what do you think causes it?

Virtuoso

Re: Chewy Bourbons

Quote Originally Posted by Meremoth View Post
    There are specific bourbons that tend to make me chew when I drink them. My jaws just naturally start chewing, almost as if there is food is my mouth to swallow, which is quite an odd sensation.

Not all bourbons do this to me, only some, and I like every single one that makes me do that. That's not to say that I don't enjoy bourbons that don't make me chew, because I do, and there are some I consider great that don't make me chew, but I don't think I have ever had a bourbon I disliked that made me chew.

Am I just a weirdo or is this something that anyone else experiences? If so, what do you think causes it?
    Which bourbons? I find that certain bourbons do have a chewy texture similar to what you get in some very tannic red wines (think old Zins). I assume this is due to oak influence, as I've only gotten it in pretty well aged bourbons. For me older Old Foresters are almost always chewy.

Guru

I think Eagle Rare SB is chewy. Been awhile since I've had any, though.

Disciple

I found Pappy 20 very chewy the first and only time I ever had it. I enjoyed it very much, and the chewy character helped quote a bit.

Connoisseur

The chewiest bourbon I've ever had was the 2005 WLW especially at the bottom of the bottle.....really had to chew to get through some of the char at the end.

Tom

Taster

Not a bourbon, but the Hirsch 22 y/o rye was one of the chewiest whiskeys I've ever tried. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, either. In fact, if the taste behind the thick mouthfeel is to my liking, I rather enjoy a chewy whiskey.

Connoisseur

Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Old Forester Signature come to mind for me.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.