Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Aging whiskey at home

Found this piece on barrel entry proof and it seems to back up the 120 proof idea. OTOH it says more sugars at lower proof and that sounds like it could be a good thing.

This is aimed at Scotch maturation processes where they typically use used barrels and it doesn't mention anything about possible differences in new or young barrels.

http://www.whisky-news.com/En/reports/Entry_proof.html

Disciple

Good read. Thanks for posting. Between taxes, barrel count, quality, evaporation, and aging required, this is a complex problem for our favorite distillers even if they have a desired bottle proof already in mind.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Found this piece on barrel entry proof and it seems to back up the 120 proof idea. OTOH it says more sugars at lower proof and that sounds like it could be a good thing.

This is aimed at Scotch maturation processes where they typically use used barrels and it doesn't mention anything about possible differences in new or young barrels.

http://www.whisky-news.com/En/reports/Entry_proof.html
    Well that was a fascinating read to say the least. Thanks for posting!

Disciple

FWIW, I made an order to The Barrel Source a couple of weeks back. After getting no answer to a couple of web inquiries I called them today, and their phone had been disconnected. My credit card still shows this as "order pending", so the website is still functioning to take orders, but I don't think anyone works there anymore. Use caution, or order elsewhere.

Connoisseur

I'm REALLY glad you just posted this as I was about to place an order! I noticed the website has gone largely unmodified over the past few months.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I'm REALLY glad you just posted this as I was about to place an order! I noticed the website has gone largely unmodified over the past few months.
    I'm glad I didn't give it an extra day then.

Connoisseur

Oh yes! I was going to place my order for some 2 Liter barrels, but after this, it's back to the drawing board. Any ideas of any other good small barrel makers? I have a few on my bookmark list on the computer, but now I'm a bit scared to buy from any of them until I hear some good reviews!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

I placed an order with www.OakBarrelsLTD.com today and got a quick confirmation, but I don't have anything to review at this point. They are a little more expensive than The Barrel Source.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I placed an order with www.OakBarrelsLTD.com today and got a quick confirmation, but I don't have anything to review at this point. They are a little more expensive than The Barrel Source.
    I have ordered from OBLtd and my experience is that they are good sellers.
    They offer a variety of barrel sizes and plenty of hoop options. My only
    "gripe" is the little bung corks don't seem to last as long as I'd like but I
    do have a stash of corks that fit the bill.

There is also a home barrel related thread from 2009 here.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

I use Oak Barrels LTD - very happy with them. Best of all the places I've bought - and they will get you charred barrels, not "toasted" - if you ask

Barrel source, from what I can tell, is out of business - no contact/no response from them in 6+ months... so doesn't matter if they are "cheaper" if they can't get you what you want!