Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Aging whiskey at home

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post

Finally, this is like using gas to run a generator. You're converting something that may not be cost efficient. That can be discouraging especially if it doesn't turn out well. It get past that by concentrating on getting the taste I want and that takes time, attention to detail, and lots of resources.

Dan
    This is exactly right, and anyone trying to do this to save time or money is destined to fail. I'm doing it as a hobby, and to try to learn why I like certain brands more than others.

Taster

I just started aging my own stuff. With all the white dogs out there right now, it has been a lot of fun mixing up new recipes. I'm still several weeks from pulling it out of the barrel, but was wondering for people with experience: Is there any need to filter the stuff when I pull it out? If so, what's the best way to do it?

Virtuoso

Not necessary but if you want to use a conical paper coffee filter (unbleached) it will remove anyting you can see and won't affect the taste.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Not necessary but if you want to use a conical paper coffee filter (unbleached) it will remove anyting you can see and won't affect the taste.
    Many thanks for the advice.

Disciple

Same here. I put a coffee filter in a kitchen funnel and poured into a bottle.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Well, it might be overaged. It still has a good finish, but the initial taste just can't be described as anything but "bad". It isn't immature; I wished I'd have pulled it two weeks ago.
    Now I'm confused. It improved since the last tasting, but there's still something funny about the intitial flavor, but it quickly fades. The mouthfeel is starting to thicken, and the finish is getting long. It was worse a month ago than it was either 6 weeks or 6 days ago. I retained a sample from last month to re-try, and it was as bad as I remembered.

Connoisseur

Ok, just got 2 small barrels for my birthday to FINALLY start my project. The one barrel seemed instantly tight and ready for whiskey. The other barrel is leaking pretty badly. They say it may take hours or days to swell shut, but this one seems to be drooling pretty heavily from multiple places. I'm thinking about getting some of that wax paste they sell to seal the leaks. Would that work?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Give it 2-3 days before you try anything like that. I have four aging right now, 1 was instantly ready, 2 took about 3-4 hours, and one took about 36 hours. I had no problems with any of them after they cured.

Connoisseur

Ok, I'll keep a watch on it. I bought some wax last night and did wax the edges of the barrel a little bit. You could literally pour water in it and watch is dribble out the back of the barrel. I at least got that to slow down with the wax. We'll see what happens. The spigot also is leaking at the valve on this barrel as well so I bought corks that I'll use if the spigot doesn't stop leaking.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    The other barrel is leaking pretty badly. They say it may take hours or days to swell shut, but this one seems to be drooling pretty heavily from multiple places.
    What I did with a "leaker' was to put it into a bucket of water
    so it could swell "outside in" as well. Sounds like yours is a bit
    worse than mine was but maybe it'll work for you...
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.