Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60
  1. #41
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Manheim, PA 17545
    Posts
    780

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    After letting it sit another day, it was still seeping, but my wax sealing seemed to really help. I found a good majority of the leakage was coming from the little wooden spigot they supply with the barrel. I removed that and pounded a cork in and it at least holds water for a while now. Another day or 2 and it should be good to go. I can't wait to pour my Heaven Hill Trybox Rye into them!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

  2. #42
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Manheim, PA 17545
    Posts
    780

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    Came home this evening to find that the barrel had finally tightened up and was nice and dry on the outside. The wax and removal of the spigots was apparently the proper corrective action. After removal of the water, I filled both barrels with Heaven Hill Trybox Rye. I'll be taking samples every few days/weeks to see how things are progressing. I figure with being such small barrels, I should have a nice rye within a few months. After filling the barrels, I congratulated myself with some Russell's Reserve Rye and Bourbon.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

  3. #43
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Came home this evening to find that the barrel had finally tightened up and was nice and dry on the outside. The wax and removal of the spigots was apparently the proper corrective action. After removal of the water, I filled both barrels with Heaven Hill Trybox Rye. I'll be taking samples every few days/weeks to see how things are progressing. I figure with being such small barrels, I should have a nice rye within a few months. After filling the barrels, I congratulated myself with some Russell's Reserve Rye and Bourbon.
    Good Luck! Did you pour it in at bottle proof or did you cut it any?

  4. #44
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Manheim, PA 17545
    Posts
    780

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    I poured it straight in from the bottles. Our public water here is terrible and I'm sure would permanently alter the taste if mixed directly with the whiskey. Hopefully this project doesn't bomb since the Trybox cost me a few coins. But, I wanted to see what I could do starting with something that was completely unaged. That way I can track and learn how taste changes over the days and weeks. Once the Trybox comes out, I think Old Heaven Hill BIB will go in.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

  5. #45
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I poured it straight in from the bottles. Our public water here is terrible and I'm sure would permanently alter the taste if mixed directly with the whiskey. Hopefully this project doesn't bomb since the Trybox cost me a few coins. But, I wanted to see what I could do starting with something that was completely unaged. That way I can track and learn how taste changes over the days and weeks. Once the Trybox comes out, I think Old Heaven Hill BIB will go in.
    Good bet. I cut mine to about 115, but my reasoning was only to fill the barrel since I had 750 mL of White Dog and a 1L barrel. I used distilled H2O from the grocery.

  6. #46
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Manheim, PA 17545
    Posts
    780

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    Been aging for a little over a week and all is well. No leaks. When should I withdraw my first samples? I'm thinking at the 3 week point?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

  7. #47
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    I retained a small samples at roughly 2, 4, 8, and 10 weeks just to do a vertical later. 3 is a good starting point.

  8. #48

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    Possibly a Noob question, but is the aging of something other that "white mash" not generally practiced? Like, if I pick up some Cabin Still and age it for a few weeks in a 2L barrel, is it worth the effort? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

  9. #49
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Manheim, PA 17545
    Posts
    780

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    Nope. Nothing wrong with that. Give it a shot. The lower proof whiskies will age differently than higher proof ones, but it's not in a bad way. The Cabin Still could certainly benefit from a little more aging too. My liter cost me a whoppin' $9.00 but is pretty young tasting.

    Oh, and welcome to Straightbourbon! This is truly the best place for whiskey information anywhere!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

  10. #50
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Aging whiskey at home

    Quote Originally Posted by jrobidoux View Post
    Possibly a Noob question, but is the aging of something other that "white mash" not generally practiced? Like, if I pick up some Cabin Still and age it for a few weeks in a 2L barrel, is it worth the effort? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    To take your question literally, aging anything, even white whiskeys, isn't "generally practiced". It's really an experiment to see what you can control, and perhaps to learn things you like. The journey is worth a lot more than the destination.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Aging Your Own.
    By cowdery in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 05:33
  2. A clue about whiskey aging from Moby Dick
    By cowdery in forum History
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 12:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top