Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

New Tennesse Whiskey

I stumbled on the website of Collier and McKeel, a craft distiller in Nashville. The website says they are making their own Tennessee Whiskey using the Lincoln County process. Anyone ever heard of it? Tried it?

http://www.collierandmckeel.com/products_tennessee.php

Guru

Re: New Tennesse Whiskey

Thanks for the link.

This paragraph made me chuckle:
    We age Collier and McKeel in very small barrels that are far more expensive than standard sized barrels but adds intense flavors that are our special gift whiskey making in Tennessee. And unlike some whiskies that have an artificial time table for the proper time in a barrel, we determine when it's time to bottle the old fashioned way; when it tastes right.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

It says they're aging in "very small" barrels. Sounds interesting, although the benefits have been deabted here and elsewhere.

Disciple

You beat me by a minute Josh.

Guru

I rarely move that quickly nowadays!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

How in the world would the smaller barrels be more expensive? Because using less wood costs more? Because they need to be made by magic elves at the North Pole?

They must think their customers are stupid. That idiot Van Winkle and his "artificial time tables." He should just release it when it "tastes right," which ... and I'm just guessing, these upstart "geniuses" so happen to think happens after just a few years. Sheesh.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good catch on the outfit involved though, I'd like to try this product. Given that Tennessee charcoal leaching offers a head start on the aging process, the product should be palatable at an earlier age (speaking generally) than bourbon.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post
    How in the world would the smaller barrels be more expensive? Because using less wood costs more? Because they need to be made by magic elves at the North Pole?

They must think their customers are stupid. That idiot Van Winkle and his "artificial time tables." He should just release it when it "tastes right," which ... and I'm just guessing, these upstart "geniuses" so happen to think happens after just a few years. Sheesh.
    I think they probably meant that it was cheaper to age in larger barrels because fewer are needed.

However, I can see how smaller barrels could be more expensive. They use less wood, yes, but everything about a smaller barrels is different, including the length of the pieces of wood and the size of the rig used to assemble them. It's a matter of scale and volume. Independent Stave does huge runs of standard barrels. If they do smaller ones the runs will be much smaller and will take more time.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    I think they probably meant that it was cheaper to age in larger barrels because fewer are needed.

However, I can see how smaller barrels could be more expensive. They use less wood, yes, but everything about a smaller barrels is different, including the length of the pieces of wood and the size of the rig used to assemble them. It's a matter of scale and volume. Independent Stave does huge runs of standard barrels. If they do smaller ones the runs will be much smaller and will take more time.
    This is similar to an argument Dan Garrison reently made on his blog, that the smaller barrels actually cost him twice as much as regular sized barrels (of course they presumably allow him to turn-around the whiskey more quickly as well). http://blog.garrisonbros.com/2011/08...n-and-barrels/

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Good catch on the outfit involved though, I'd like to try this product. Given that Tennessee charcoal leaching offers a head start on the aging process, the product should be palatable at an earlier age (speaking generally) than bourbon.

Gary
    Tennessee charcoal leaching? I see a career in marketing for you, Gary.

Sushi? Heck no, it is cold dead fish.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?