Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterson's Rye

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Masterson's Rye

Has anyone heard of this one yet? The 10-year-old part makes me think it might be another WhistlePig-Jefferson's.

Guru

Re: Masterson's Rye

$79 sounds like a sucker buy...aimed at those who purchase for appearance and bottle uniqueness. IF it tastes far superior to other ryes fine...but somehow I doubt most people will pop for it.

An entire page of reading that didn't tell you one damn thing about the whiskey but we know all about Bat Masterson.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

It's Canadian Rye.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Wonder why we are seeing som many Canadian ryes out of what I would guess is the same distillery, Alberta Distillers? Are they in financial trouble and are needing to sell stock off? Interesting.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's not necessarily Alberta. Just because their output is 100% rye doesn't mean they're the only Canadian distillery that makes a 100% rye flavoring whiskey. On the other hand, Alberta is owned by Beam and Beam's focus now is on Canadian Club, which is made by Pernod but sold by Beam, so it's possible Beam is phasing out Alberta.

I don't know but I suspect Pernod, since I know they were the source for a lot of the whiskey High West and others have acquired.

It does seem odd that someone would have that much 10-year-old (or older) straight rye that they suddenly don't need.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Wonder why we are seeing som many Canadian ryes out of what I would guess is the same distillery, Alberta Distillers? Are they in financial trouble and are needing to sell stock off? Interesting.

My guess is the startup distilleries who don't have any product to sell will pay more per barrel than the Canadian blenders.

Virtuoso

Yeah, a ten year old, 100% rye Canadian. Sounds exactly like the WhistlePig/Jefferson Rye.

Guru

Online price range for Whistle Pig $64-71 and Jefferson's $42....why pay $79 for the bottle and story?

Connoisseur

Saw this in the store today and almost pulled the trigger on it.

I've had Jefferon's, and it didn't really do much for me. Tempted to pull it out of banishment from the cellar tonight and give it another go.

Read that it is better than Jeff, but not quite Whistlepig. And I do love other high rye bottles-Bulleit and Willett Rye-assuming the Willett is the LDI 95% rye mashblll-great pour.

Since this has been out a bit already, has anybody had a chance to try it??

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."