Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterson's Rye

Enthusiast

Re: Masterson's Rye

Have tasted all three - WP, Jeff's and Masterson's - in one setting. Qualitatively, WP was the hands-down winner, with Jefferson's coming in second...and definitely the best buy of the three. Masterson's was a distant third.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Have tasted all three - WP, Jeff's and Masterson's - in one setting. Qualitatively, WP was the hands-down winner, with Jefferson's coming in second...and definitely the best buy of the three. Masterson's was a distant third.
    Cosign.

~extra filler due to minimum character restriction, ignore~
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

Maybe it has been discussed somehwer on here, but I cannot find it. We knew the rye that is making up these bottlings was 100 percent rye. I think I was told it was raw rye with enzymes. But Raj posted on FB a video the other day about WP. He said in the video that WP is 100 percent rye malt. They shoed a close up of the label on a barrel. I could not beleive what the barrel proof was. I think I saw 155 proof.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I am very skeptical of the claim that WP is 100 percent rye malt. If it is, then it should be labeled as such, since such a type is anticipated in the TTB rules, and the rules say you should carry the designation that best applies.

Disciple

Well, if the TTB rules say so, then I'm sure it will happen...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

This is now available in Toronto and I picked one up. The bottle says Batch 3.

This is the best of the three straight ryes said to be from the same source. It has a super-soft mouthfeel and a refined, elegant flavour, yet is very much on the straight whiskey vector.

It reminded me of a very good wheater in quality at about the same age, e.g. Lot B.

Although confected from all-rye, I don't really get pronounced or almost any rye notes. It tastes (to me) like a very smooth bourbon.

It shows once again the variety that issues from Canadian distilleries in terms of the so-called flavouring whiskeys. E.g., its apparent stablemate Dark Horse (i.e., made at the same location, Alberta Distillers, if indeed that's true), could not be more different. Dark Horse is more like Don Outterson's whiskeys, full of feisty pot still character, or like Versailles make or Anchor's ryes, say. Masterson's is a more refined take on the whiskey idea despite the frontier imagery evoked by the liberal narrative on the package. It's rather overdone IMO, but that's me - I'd rather this have come in a plainer package with 1/3rd or more knocked off the price.

Anyway, this is top-of-the-line - the best Canadian-made whisky I have had. Lot No. 40 is a good and interesting product and well-priced but not in the same league, ditto for Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve and Wiser's Legacy, IMO again.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-26-2012 at 16:38.

Connoisseur

I keep hearing Lot 40 is on the market again, are you seiing it in Canada? I would love to see it brought into the uS, but cannot find out if or when it will be.

It is on the market again Tom, mostly in and around Toronto. Niagara Falls doesn't have any, or at this time.

I'd bring you one but I don't know when I get can down to your area and with winter approaching soon..

It is the best release so far, connected to the one before but not as congeneric IMO and better balanced.

Gary

Connoisseur
    I really need to try Masterson's again as my first and only impression was very sub-par. Well below WhistkePig and even Jefferson's. I was very disappointed.

Perhaps I need to try this batch 3 Gary. You've definitely got me curious.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

It's very good Josh, I hadn't tried the earlier batches so I can't say about those. (And we know batches can vary). I do like WP and Jefferson's a lot too but this one stands ahead IMO. I wonder if in part it is the water they are using in Sonoma to take it to bottle strength, it is rainwater soft and brings out all the whisky has to offer. By the way tasting it again I am getting rosewater-like complexities which I recall from old-time bourbons that were rye-heavy and e.g. from the old Michter's. The rye does show but in a very particular and attractive way. The people who distilled and selected this know exactly what they are doing IMO, no question.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-27-2012 at 09:24.