Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Masterson's Rye

Enthusiast

Re: Masterson's Rye

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Anyway, this is top-of-the-line - the best Canadian-made whisky I have had. Lot No. 40 is a good and interesting product and well-priced but not in the same league, ditto for Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve and Wiser's Legacy, IMO again.
    Gary
    It may be good ... but IMO its not $110 good! If the whisky was bottled in Canada by the producer it would probably retail for under $50!!!

I haven't tried the FC copper pot reserve but, for the same money, I'll take three bottles of Lot no 40 or 2 bottles of Wiser's Legacy over one fancy box of Mastersons.
    Last edited by portwood; 10-27-2012 at 12:28.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree about the pricing, I think it's unfortunate. It's a very good whiskey and doesn't need all the marketing paraphernalia IMO, which must add to the cost. The other whiskeys are much better value.

Gary

Connoisseur

A check at wine-searcher show a number of US sellers offering this for
    under $80. and a few who ship to my state have it priced under $60.
    Reading the comments here make this sound like something worth
    trying at that price.

The US/Canada $ is about even - any idea why the US price is almost half
    the Canadian?
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    The US/Canada $ is about even - any idea why the US price is almost half
    the Canadian?
    Canadians have been asking that question for .... ever!

ALL alcohol is more expensive in Canada than the US - even Canadian whisky! It has to do with two basic factors:
    1. higher sin taxes and duties
    2. all stores (exept in Alberta) are state controlled

The Mastersons is especially irksome - to me. The whisky was distilled and matured in Canada, shipped in bulk to the US, packaged in the US, shipped back to Canada. You do the math ... multiple sets of mark-ups (producer, bottler, distributor in Canada*), add taxes on the original product in Canada, taxes in the US, and duties and taxes to bring it back to Canada.
    If the whisky in the Mastersons bottle was put on the market by the Canadian producer, it would probably retail for <$50 - the price of Wiser's Legacy.

* note that the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO, who claim to be one of the largest alcohol purchasers in the world) purchase most items (it might be all items) from distributors. You would thing that with such purchasing power they would deal directly with the producers, right? They don't.

Connoisseur

A store here has it for 65, still to rich for me.

Connoisseur
    I've seen it around $60ish
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post

The Mastersons is especially irksome - to me. The whisky was distilled and matured in Canada, shipped in bulk to the US, packaged in the US, shipped back to Canada. You do the math ... multiple sets of mark-ups (producer, bottler, distributor in Canada*), add taxes on the original product in Canada, taxes in the US, and duties and taxes to bring it back to Canada. ...
    If Masterson's Rye is bottled in the U.S. (and sold in the U.S.), why is it shipped it back to Canada? Are bottles shipped to distributors directly from Canada? It seems more logical/economical to have the bottles shipped to the distributors directly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    This is now available in Toronto and I picked one up. The bottle says Batch 3.

This is the best of the three straight ryes said to be from the same source. It has a super-soft mouthfeel and a refined, elegant flavour, yet is very much on the straight whiskey vector.

It reminded me of a very good wheater in quality at about the same age, e.g. Lot B.

Although confected from all-rye, I don't really get pronounced or almost any rye notes. It tastes (to me) like a very smooth bourbon...
    Spotted some of the Batch 3 locally and, based on Gary's recommendation, picked up a bottle.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasonsÖ that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

John, I'd be very interested in your take on this. I think it is the best we've ever produced in this country but it needs neat drinking for maximum impact IMO.

Regarding bottling Stateside and subsequent importation, I would think it is shipped in bulk to California where it is cut and bottled, then released for U.S. sale mainly, but some is sent back here. I don't think Canada is the primary market, I'd think the expected sales here were not thought large enough to warrant a domestic release. True, it could be sold here and exported in bottled form, but I would think again there must have been tax or other reasons to do it the other way.

Gary

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Spotted some of the Batch 3 locally and, based on Gary's recommendation, picked up a bottle.
    John, what's a bottle run approximately?

Have not seen any in these parts.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."