Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

I have never bought JDSB; never tasted it, in fact. However, as I've lately begun tasting whiskeys again, and have renewed my love affair with Dickel, I thought I'd give "the other Tennessee whiskey" a try. I picked up a 2011 Ducks Unlimited bottle earlier this week. It was under $40, so why not.

These are the first tasting notes I've posted in some time, but I've been doing a lot of tasting and writing notes lately. Hopefully these aren't too far off the mark.

First, the bottle info: Rick No. R-16; Barrel No. 11-2663; Bottled 6-1-11.

I tasted this in a nice sherry copita glass.

Appearance: Orange blossom honey. Long, slender, slow-moving legs

Nose: Grilled sweet corn; buttercream frosting; maple-iced donut

Palate: Big entry full of fat corn notes, followed almost immediately by pecans, fruit, and maple in the middle - add some saged sausage and you've got breakfast. The fruit, btw, is not banana, but rather some citrus, a bit of peach or some other stone fruit, and maybe something tropical - pineapple? mango? Nice, full mouthfeel enhanced by a vanilla backbone that serves to underscore and meld the other assorted notes.

Finish: Long, deep, maple-rich with some light cinnamon and another dollop of vanilla cream. Maybe a touch of caramel.

This is some very good whiskey. I wish I'd tried it sooner. It won't replace my favorite pours, most of which are less expensive and not as sweet, but this is a great option when out, I think, and probably worth keeping around as an after-dinner dram. I like Dickel 12, and I think it's a better value, but I have only had one or two bottles of that whiskey than can compare to this. Really nice indeed.

I know Gary and a few others here are fans. Count me in that camp.

Best,
    Tim

Connoisseur

Re: Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

Good notes, Tim. That sounds similar to the memory I have of JDSB, of which I am a fan. But at $46 at my favorite store, I'll buy it only rarely. Not sure at what price point I would buy it more often. But when I can get great 12 year olds for less than $25 (Weller 12, EC12) or quality single barrels (ETL, EWSB) for about the same, $46 is tough to pay.

I usually have a hard time paying more than $35 for anything other than something extremely rare (BTAC, Van Winkle).
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good notes, thanks Tim.

Gary

Connoisseur

Thanks, guys. Glad to see my tasting skills aren't totally rusty.

Gary, thanks for beating the drum for this one for so long; I remember you praising it some years ago when no one else really talked about it. Glad I finally listened.

Best,
    Tim

Virtuoso

I'm a big fan of Dickel 12. That said... I really like the JDSB. I can get it for under $40.00 also. I agree with your tasting notes. I'm always dumbfounded by how nuch I like the JDSB , but I have no love at all for old #7.

JDSB is kinda growing on me a bit too. I bought a private bottling from 2001 a few weeks ago. I liked it well enough that I picked up a regular bottle yesterday. Like I posted in the 'What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today' thread, I couldn't pass it up. The sticker price was $25.99.

I agree with some of your tasting notes Tim. I also get the maple glazed doughnut and corn on the nose. The taste for me was a hint of maple and pecans, but instead of a fruit, I thought it was more like cotton candy or bubble gum. A pretty decent pour IMHO. My JD drinking bowling buddies will be surprised the next time they come over. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Joe, it really has improved in recent years. Something has changed - for the better.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Joe, it really has improved in recent years. Something has changed - for the better.

Gary
    Absolutely, totally, 100% agree. It has gotten much better in the last year or two, specifically. I can pick JDSB up at costco now (hope it isn't seasonal) for about 36 per, which is pretty fair, so I keep some on hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

My closest Costco is a whole day round trip, which sorta wipes out any savings.

Virtuoso

that's kinda a plan it way out of this world trip, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.