Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Rufus M Rose House

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    GBS has been studying the Rose house for some time, as an HQ for the organization. With our explosive growth, particularly internationally, we really feel the need for the expansion in office space. We're in the process of putting together the financing, now. We have Top People working on it. Top. Domestic financing isn't meeting the requirements that we feel a global organization such as our demands, and quite frankly, expects. I'm sure you, and other GBS members would concur with this sentiment. PNB Paribas, HSBC, or Barclay's will probably be our pick. This would already have been a done deal, but Jimmy is such a huge Scarlett O'Hara fan, he wouldn't drop the idea of purchasing the Margaret Mitchell House, instead...

We'll keep everyone apprised of developments as they become available for general consumption.
    I know a top chap to two over the pond at Barclay's so if I can be of any assistance with international finance please ring me on the telly.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Four Roses traces its history to the Paul Jones Company but has never officially acknowledged the connection to Rufus Rose. I mention this just as an FYI. I suspect Jones (also originally from Atlanta) obtained the rights from Rose early on, probably before Jones relocated to Kentucky in 1886.

It would be brilliant if Four Roses bought it, restored it, and used it to promote Four Roses bourbon.
    A year or 2 back I was contacted by some people who live in that area who had been collecting info about Rufus and landmarks that are left (house, etc.). At the time I knew Al Young was working on his FR history book, so I contacted him to see if FR was interested in any of the Atlanta history the locals had. He told me FR did not recognize any connection to Rufus and thanks but they weren't interested. FWIW...
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm not surprised. Too bad.

Maybe somebody, after 130 years, still owes somebody else some money.

Virtuoso

I don't know my way around Atlanta, so thanks for the local perspective. I read elsewhere that the neighborhood is 'problematic.'
    I don't think it's really problematic. I think that's a euphemism a lot of people from lily-white suburbs use for "there sure are a lot of black people down there!"

I used to live in Midtown and Home Park (and, for a while, on Luckie). I loved walking around and exploring the area. I knew what places were safe at night and what probably weren't, and right along Peachtree is going to be safe. It was just common sense. To hear others talk about it, though, you'd think there was crime on every corner.

I hear the same thing in Louisville from people in Oldham County. I live in Old Louisville and walk to and from events downtown. It's no big deal. Yes, there is a big mix of different ethnic groups around here. That just makes for better grocery stores and restaurants. It doesn't make the place less safe.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    I don't think it's really problematic. I think that's a euphemism a lot of people from lily-white suburbs use for "there sure are a lot of black people down there!"

I used to live in Midtown and Home Park (and, for a while, on Luckie). I loved walking around and exploring the area. I knew what places were safe at night and what probably weren't, and right along Peachtree is going to be safe. It was just common sense. To hear others talk about it, though, you'd think there was crime on every corner.

I hear the same thing in Louisville from people in Oldham County. I live in Old Louisville and walk to and from events downtown. It's no big deal. Yes, there is a big mix of different ethnic groups around here. That just makes for better grocery stores and restaurants. It doesn't make the place less safe.
    I agree that it's not "problematic" but it's also not somewhere that I would want my sister walking around at night. The drug rehab center a half block away does make for some interesting characters around there. You're right though - I've walked around that area and never really felt threatened or anything (although the same can't be said if you go a mile west into Vine City and Bankhead!).
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Thanks, Craig, for accusing me of using racist code words after I said at the outset that I'm completely unfamiliar with the neighborhood in question. "Problematic" is a perfectly good, if vague, word for an area that is developmentally challenged. (I supposed you think that's racist code too.)

Virtuoso

Thanks, Craig, for accusing me of using racist code words after I said at the outset that I'm completely unfamiliar with the neighborhood in question. "Problematic" is a perfectly good, if vague, word for an area that is developmentally challenged. (I supposed you think that's racist code too.)
    Unless I misread your message, you weren't calling the area "problematic"; you were reporting what you had read. Why, then, would you think I was writing about you?

"Bob told me Canadians talk funny" isn't the same as "I think Canadians talk funny". I have not agreed with Bob's assessment or presented it as my own; I have simply reported it.

Enthusiast

Craig,

If it makes you feel better, I read your post as speaking to the author of what was written also. I did not feel you you were calling anyone racist.

I hope this thread takes a new direction soon. We don't need to be discussing this.

Connoisseur

Well, if the story about the 4 roses corsage is not what it's cracked up to be, and Rufus Rose was a real founder of 4 roses, who were the other three Roses?
    There's no such thing as bad whiskey, there's only over priced whiskey.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Well, if the story about the 4 roses corsage is not what it's cracked up to be, and Rufus Rose was a real founder of 4 roses, who were the other three Roses?
    His brother, his son, and his nephew, according to one story.