Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve

I did a search and could not find the answer that I was looking for. I recently came across a few bottles of GD SBR from the BHC. I have yet to open a bottle from my bunker as previously I only had two in my collection. I was about to open one last night. I noticed a neck tag on one of the bottles. I have never seen a neck tag on any BHC that I've bought in the past. Under the description for GD SBR it reads... "Creamy, with a balance of wheat and rye,..." Is this a wheated whiskey? Is the current version of GD a wheated whiskey? Curious minds want to know...

Connoisseur

Re: George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve

To be sure someone knows the answer to this. Here are some scans of the neck tag.

Disciple

Rod, There was an article in Malt Advocate where the GD master distiller, John Lunn, stated the GD mashbill was 84% corn, 8% malted barley and 8% rye. I would assume that it was always that and "wheat" is just a marketing copywriter's clumsy term or that is how it tasted to them. I have the same neck tag but never bothered to read it. I've come across only 2 of these BHC Dickels and passed on them due to $40 price and the fill level looking low. Let us know how it tastes and if as the tag states "Perfect for afternoon relaxation or before dinner. Enjoy sipping anytime" .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Thanks for the info! I had never seen anything referring to GD as being wheated. My firsts thoughts were that it was a mistake in the neck tag. It has been a long long time since I've had an opened GD of any type. I think I'll open one over the weekend. I am pretty certain that it will be perfect for an afternoon of relaxation!