Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Virtuoso

Temperance Trader - New Sourced Bourbon

Yet another new sourced bourbon, this one from the Bull Run Distillery in Oregon. Per the website, specs are as follows:

• Ingredients: This is a "High Rye" bourbon that is 60% Corn, 35% Rye and 5% Barley
    • Alcohol Content: 42.77% by volume or a little over 85 Proof
    • Suggested Retail Price: $29.95
    • Availability: Currently available in Oregon. Other states this fall.

http://www.bullrundistillery.com/Temperance-Trader.html

The mashbill is pretty close to LDI, so that would be my guess. It's labeled as Straight Bourbon.

Connoisseur

Re: Temperance Trader - New Sourced Bourbon

http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_de...ou_waiting.htm

If the above article is correct it would not be LDI, since they say it it a Kentucky Bourbon

Tom

Trippah and Admin

60/35/5 hit me as Four Roses, but I don't have a chart on my phone as a reference.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Yes, at least according to Oscar's chart, the 4R high rye is 60/35/5. LDI offers 60/36/4 . Not sure if that is a real difference or academic. Does 4R have enough excess production to sell bulk? Maybe, since they're on the hook for less and less of Bulleit's fill.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

We can be pretty confident that this is LDI juice. Don't let the 1% variation in the mash bill throw you. The BRD web site says it comes from "Bourbon Country," and LDI qualifies. Tasting Table probably took that and assumed Kentucky, an error which no one at BRD made any effort to correct. Same old same old, folks.

By the way, I just finished a big feature story about LDI for Malt Advocate, coming soon.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    We can be pretty confident that this is LDI juice. Don't let the 1% variation in the mash bill throw you. The BRD web site says it comes from "Bourbon Country," and LDI qualifies. Tasting Table probably took that and assumed Kentucky, an error which no one at BRD made any effort to correct. Same old same old, folks.

By the way, I just finished a big feature story about LDI for Malt Advocate, coming soon.
    Can't wait to read it, Chuck. I love saying that LDI is my favorite producer of Rye. Although that is more by accident, rather than intention.

Connoisseur

Well, it looks like you won't have to go a week without being confused by K&L. This week's e-mail has this bit:

- Patrick Bernards from Portland’s Bull Run Distilley came by this afternoon to present his Temperance Trader Bourbon, an independently bottled batch of Buffalo Trace, high-rye whiskey. He’s sitting on some LDI juice as well. It’s a nice addition to the ever-expanding market of independent American whiskies. We should have it in stock by tomorrow afternoon at $29.99

The company changed their specs since their initial offering: now they just say it's at least 51% corn and less than 10% barley, that it's a blend, and that the youngest barrels are at least 4 years old.

But I assume it still is high rye, and BT doesn't make a high rye bourbon, at least not anything like LDI or 4R. Do they?

So... maybe they blended BT with a high rye bourbon, or a straight rye? Also, the recipe could have changed since the initial bottling.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Well, it looks like you won't have to go a week without being confused by K&L. This week's e-mail has this bit:

- Patrick Bernards from Portlandís Bull Run Distilley came by this afternoon to present his Temperance Trader Bourbon, an independently bottled batch of Buffalo Trace, high-rye whiskey. Heís sitting on some LDI juice as well. Itís a nice addition to the ever-expanding market of independent American whiskies. We should have it in stock by tomorrow afternoon at $29.99

The company changed their specs since their initial offering: now they just say it's at least 51% corn and less than 10% barley, that it's a blend, and that the youngest barrels are at least 4 years old.

But I assume it still is high rye, and BT doesn't make a high rye bourbon, at least not anything like LDI or 4R. Do they?

So... maybe they blended BT with a high rye bourbon, or a straight rye? Also, the recipe could have changed since the initial bottling.
    It's LDI. The back label has the tell tale, "distilled in Indiana": https://www.ttbonline.gov/ALFD/publi...12013000000001

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    It's LDI. The back label has the tell tale, "distilled in Indiana": https://www.ttbonline.gov/ALFD/publi...12013000000001
    Thanks Sku. Maybe he had it backwards, and had some BT in reserve.