Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BOTM 6/11: Very Special Old Fitzgerald

Thanks to a suggestion, and some gentle chiding in the chat room last night, I decided to use VSOF as this months BOTM.

Comparisons and/or posts of the different bottlings are welcome, if not encouraged. So, let's hear what you all have to say. I've had the BHC, and the current version. The BHC was great. The current version is pretty tasty too, but not quite as good as the BHC. I've heard others say that the version bottled just after the BHC wasn't very good. I never had any, so I won't comment. Yeah. Me not commenting. Cheers everyone! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 6/11: Very Special Old Fitzgerald

Well I don't have a bottle of VSOF but am nursing a bottle of BIB I picked up in Minnesota last week. I like the BIB and will try to order a bottle of VSOF.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Advanced Taster

Hope I can find some of this here in Colorado, would hate to have to order it online, but I'll look around and see what I can find.

Virtuoso

Any Indy area members know offhand if this is available to us? I like the BIB and would like to try VSOF.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

I also like the B.I.B. version as a decent budget pour. I wasn't aware that there was a current version of VSOF. I've never seen one in person, only heard about dusties. It would be interesting to know: where it's available, proof, age, price? I'll be on the look out next time I'm in KY.

Guru

I'm working on a bottle of the BHC and it must have had a tiny cork issue, as some of the juice evaporated. Truthfully, this bottle ain't great--the whiskey has a prune-like quality that prevents me from fully enjoying it. I have one other still-sealed bottle of BHC-era VSOF and will crack it open to do a side-by-side comparison when the other bottle gets down to the last pour or two.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Does anyone know where I can find a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald in Houston? Anywhere in Texas? I have not found that anyone carries Old Fitz here.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonKiller View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald in Houston? Anywhere in Texas? I have not found that anyone carries Old Fitz here.

I haven't seen anything but the regular OF in Texas. I rely on a buddy in KY to keep my OF stocked.

I enjoy the VSOF quite a bit. I only have 2 bottles so I am nursing them slowly. It's definitely one of my favorite 90 proof pours. Both of mine are HH distilled.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonKiller View Post
    Liq-O-Rama in north Ft Worth had several bottles in February, I was surprised because I haven't seen it in SC in several years. I started to buy them but I wasn't checking luggage and figured they wouldn't be allowed on the plane.

The last bottle I got I got for $8.50. The saleswoman didn't have it in the computer but figured since Old Fitz went for $19 a handle this bottle must be worth about $8.50. I didn't argue.
    Last edited by Enoch; 06-03-2011 at 17:25.

Enthusiast

Enoch

Man you scored on that one. Should have bought more.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico