I had a wonderful wedding anniversary dinner last night at a Chicago special occasion stand-by, Bistro Campagne. The restaurant truly never disappoints, and I would recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone looking for a sophisticated, laid back, romantic and/or warm dinner destination. Spectacular food and first rate service.

I ordered what they call their Chicago Sour as an aperitif, and it really impressed in its mellow complexity.

Ingredients:
Lion's Pride Dark Wheat Whiskey
1 shot Grand Marnier
1/2 a squeezed lemon
Ruby Port float

As told to me by the bartender, it's the port float finish that gives the drink its city-of-origin name, as the traditional Chicago whiskey sour was made that way. At least I think that's what he said.

I haven't tried Koval's Dark Wheat whiskey by itself, so it's hard for me to comment on its affect in the drink, but if I made the drink at home, the first whiskey I'd turn to would be ORVW 10/107.

The drink was smooth with a slightly tart entrance, a ruddy, mellow middle, and a sweetly herbal finish that lingered as it progressed to a numby-licorice end. The natural maraschino cherries were an appropriate treat in the midst of the drink.