Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Hofbrauhaus, Newport, KY

This is what i meant, exactly, this roasted flavour. Sorry, but i probably used a wrong term, my english is far away from being perfect! ;-)

I'm not very keen with the traditonal german food, like sausage and stuff. From time to time, well yes, but the food in the area around Cologne has it's own story and differs from the more popular bavarian stuff. You have to know that the rest of Germany is always a bit suspicious about Bavaria...;-)

As for american beers, sadly no. I haven't checked online, but even in some american sports bar all the have is Miller or Anheuser, and i just know that this is not the best stuff available. I tasted some very good beers in California years ago, but can't remember the name. Would be glad if you could recomend some great stuff...

Cheers!
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Connoisseur

Heh heh, I have heard about the German attitude towards Bavaria My friend also raises an eyebrow when the region is mentioned!

He told me at brunch that Cologne is very proud of its Kolsch! We try the style in America from time to time, but I can't compare it to the real beer. I hope I get to visit Cologne in the near future!

Since you love whiskey and a wide range of beers, I imagine you'd like some of the American beer offerings, many of which are aged in whiskey barrels or are otherwise pretty strong flavored brews. My favorite around here is Founder's Breakfast Stout, but everyone seems to have a long list of his or her own.

I forgot to say, welcome to the board!

Enthusiast

Thanks for the warm welcome!

So, in Cologne, it is a bit of a rush to get along with the bavarians ;-)

I love pretty much all good stuff. For me, it's done with some bourbon and coke and loud hairmetal

Connoisseur

I love old Slayer, but I haven't been exposed much to newer metal. I love, love, love Mastodon, and I like what I've heard from High on Fire. Any recommendations?

EDIT: I cannot stand Mastodon's new album, but I'm happy they're trying new stuff. I was thinking more Crack the Skye, Remission, and the first half of Blood Mountain.
    Last edited by bad_scientist; 11-19-2011 at 15:06.

Enthusiast

Wow! Too hard for me. Mastodon, well yes. For me, the hardest is probably Metallica. I love the sexy hairmetal: Poison, Faster Pussycat, Warrant. Sippin' thru a good bourbon while dancin toe to toe with your girl - nothin better!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by stiffchainey View Post
    Wow! Too hard for me. Mastodon, well yes. For me, the hardest is probably Metallica. I love the sexy hairmetal: Poison, Faster Pussycat, Warrant. Sippin' thru a good bourbon while dancin toe to toe with your girl - nothin better!
    If you can dance with a girl to Metallica, you are far, far more creative than I am

My wife can't stand anything heavier than Everclear - oh well...

Enthusiast

Everclear = Great band! Art Alexis is a great songwiter. I used some quotes in my new book. Santa Moinca was an amazing single.

Yeah, i mean, we like to dance to Poison and G N' R's "Sweet child o' Mine", basicially the old stuff! ;-)

Taster

Of course, being from Koeln, you don't want to mention the great Altbier from Duesseldorf! But they have a saying up there... The Rhine goes straight through Koeln/Cologne, but when it gets to Duesseldorf, it takes a winding path, making sure to get a taste from each brewery.

I also really like Koestritzer. My favorite Pils was one from the Black Forest, where I lived - Waldhaus. Flavorful but balanced. I also really liked Ketterer. Rothaus Tannenzaepfle is the most famous one from the Black Forest, I even saw it in Berlin... but while good, it wasn't my favorite.

The best Koelsch I've ever had was Sion, but I've never tried Malzmuehlen. I hope I'll get a chance to try it sometime!

If you want to order better American beers online, you can go to http://www.biershop.bierpost.com/ . I used to order Sam Adams from them for my July 4th bbq parties. They ship fast and pack well!

Enthusiast

Haha, don't get me wrong, I prefer D-dorf to Cologne: cleaner city and better options. Cologne is quite dirty. I even like the "Altbier"! Never got into this hassle ...;-)

Hey, thanks for the tip! Will check the onlineshop. Any recommendations?

Cheers

Taster

Oh, also, about Bavaria... a lot of northern Germans (i.e., north of the Weisswurst line) love to bash Bavaria. But a lot of the warmest, most open people you'll meet in Germany come from the south, including Bavaria. And Bavaria itself is a very large state with many regions. The people of Franken/Franconia, for example, are in a way not even true Bavarians.

It's kind of like how some Americans love to make fun of people from our south and especially Texas. Different accent, different way of life. And it's mostly completely unjustified.