Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

High West Silver OMG Pure Rye

A new one from High West, I got to taste this unaged rye at a trade show recently and found it pretty spectacular. The OMG stands for "Old MononGahela" as in the Pennsylvania river that runs through the original American whiskey country. A bit silly name, but it's a fun story. The whiskey itself is 100% rye - 20% of it malted. And this supposedly contains all the head and tail, no cut, in honor of the good old ways (1800s).What I really liked in this was a very present yeastiness on the nose especially, almost like a champagne yeast. David said they use three types of yeast, and had played around with the right balance of them. It may be unusual, but I think it plays really well with the rye spice. Very interesting stuff, eager to buy a bottle and spend more time with it once it comes out, which is rare for an unaged whiskey for me.

(a few more notes on other things I tasted at the show at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2011/09/13/omg-rye/)

Advanced Taster

Re: High West Silver OMG Pure Rye

Sounds interesting, I have had the Rendezvous and the Double Rye and loved both. Will definitely be looking forward to giving this one a try, thanks for the info.

Connoisseur

Ain't no way he left in all the heads and tails. I have seen it and it looks clear to me. I have never seen a historical basis for distillers not making cuts. Maybe I am wrong?

Enthusiast

Yeah, I thought the heads and tails contain the stuff that will hurt/kill you. One reason it's risky to try 'shine made by someone who doesn't know darn well what they're doing.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Virtuoso
    I haven't heard that heads and tails are harmful but they do produce off, volatile aromas and flavors

Connoisseur

I do not know what all are in heads or tails. I owuld think the heads at least would give a nasty headache and the tails would for sure give you a bad case of the runs.

Apprentice

Good points all, I was surprised, too. Maybe I misheard him. Will see if I can confirm that.

The heads and tails contain Acetone, Methenol and Ethyl Acetate. No I didn't pull that off the top of my head (other than than the Methenol) I looked it up.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I am sure they know better than to leave that in. Heads smell just like finger nail polish remover. Which you could acutally use them for.

Enthusiast

Not enough bad stuff in the heads (mostly) or tails to do you any real harm if left in - you'd have to drink a few dozen bottles to get truly "poisoned" (beyond the already mentioned headaches & runs) - but they taste like $*#*!@ and nobody in their right mind would want them.

I believe many simply dump the heads, and re-distill the tails. As for heads, a few microdistillers I've spoken too use it for cleaning around the shop!