Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 51 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Celebrating the beginning of Thanksgiving break with a generous pour of ORVW 10/107. Looking forward to spending the next week with my wife and family!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

Had the last pour of PVW 15 tonight...it's always a sad day when this bottle is emptied!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Enthusiast

Had a pour of Old Ezra 101 which wasn't bad. Now I am having some Heaven Hill white label BIB. I like this one a lot.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Well I am and occasionally am allowed to partake in the same meal and I can't think of a better whiskey either before, during and after as the perfect accompaniment to said meal. The white label BIB (6 year) imo is really really a whole lot better than the gold label BIB (4 year) too but I'm stuck with the gold label until next trip south.
    It's a great meal and a great whiskey. In Michigan we only get the 80 proof Heaven Hill gold label which is not great to say the least. I haven't ever tried the gold label BiB just because the white label always meets my needs.

I bought some of the green label last spring, and it was really good, but it's not the BiB.

Quote Originally Posted by G.H.Adams View Post
    Had a pour of Old Ezra 101 which wasn't bad. Now I am having some Heaven Hill white label BIB. I like this one a lot.
    Two of my favorites under $25. Can't go wrong!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The Polish spirits of course would go very well with this, and foremost IMO Starka, the one vodka I've never seen in North America, duty free or the U.K. Which is not to say you can't find it, but I've never seen it.

Starka is distilled in a manner similar to straight rye, i.e., it's not rectified to neutrality, and is made from a rye-based mash. It is long aged in oak and is sometimes lightly flavoured, either with tree leaves or the residues of wine barrels especially ex-sherry. This site gives information on the main producer in Poland today:

http://www.polmos.szczecin.pl/

Wikipedia's entry on starka gives good information in English on the history of the drink.

One of my goals is to taste this drink and see if it is similar to straight rye, I believe it may be. If so, this may give a clue as to the origins of straight American whiskey, since many European (non-U.K. or Irish) immigrants would have distilled from rye when they arrived here. The Dutch also used rye to make genever, and still do for the most authentic type. There may have been a belt (so to speak) of European distilling based on rye from Holland through some of the German lands to Poland and Lithuania, and it arrived here via their immigration. Indeed now that I think of it, Pennsylvania, home of rye whiskey, was a notable destination of Polish emigration although I am not sure if it dates from pre-1800 (when rye whiskey was already well-established).

And so from bigos and similar dishes to Kentucky bourbon that goes well with it, to the original Polish and other European rye-based accompaniments, and back to American whiskey again... Or in other words explicating why your choice worked so well, Josh... (considering too the HH brand you mentioned has a good rye kick).

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    And so from bigos and similar dishes to Kentucky bourbon that goes well with it, to the original Polish and other European rye-based accompaniments, and back to American whiskey again... Or in other words explicating why your choice worked so well, Josh... (considering too the HH brand you mentioned has a good rye kick).

Gary
    Yes Gary that's why I so heartily endorsed the HH 6yr BIB Josh mentioned because of that good rye kick but still enough sweet to accompany the fat, spices and acidity in that kind of meal. And I'm still not aware of Starka being available at retail here but I will be looking.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Please let us know if you locate it, Thad, that would be a great find.

Gary

Guru

4R LE1B Jim Rutledge Selection for Shoppers Vineyard, 10yo and barrel strength @ 105.6prf, neat.
    Pure flavor, a classic.
    Last edited by OscarV; 11-18-2011 at 13:09.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    4R LE1B Jim Rutledge Selection for Shoppers Vineyard, 10yo and barrel strength @ 105.6prf, neat.
    Pure flavor, a classic.
    OK, I corked that baby up for later, whilst I was sipping it I mixed up four parts 2011 G T Stagg and one part water to bring down the proof to 114.
    I let it mingle for 30 minutes or so and it came out great.
    Very tasty.
    ovh

Connoisseur

CnB BT #39 & CnB Weller 12 #3 tonight.