Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Little pour of Bulleit rye tonight. One more left in the bottle, time to start thinking about the replacement.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Pre-sale (c.1970) S-W Old Fitzgerald 1849 10 yr. Savoring it now, I am reminded why I am making this last as long as I can. It's knee-bucklingly delicious.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Pre-sale (c.1970) S-W Old Fitzgerald 1849 10 yr. Savoring it now, I am reminded why I am making this last as long as I can. It's knee-bucklingly delicious.
    Super jealous as I'm sure it's fantastic.

Enjoying a pour of the current bottling of Vintage 17.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    That is some great stuff, Joe!

A little OWA for me tonight.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Enthusiast

Enjoyed two very fine neat pours this evening after putting down the equivalent of a sixer's worth of beers. (Two strong beers and a pair of standard Octoberests.)

First was a nice sampling of some 4R Single Barrel that I bought back in March in a gift set with two glasses that are somehow still on my desk. Very fine stuff. Definitely dry. Definitely fine.

Then it was on to my "house pour," which I put together a few weeks back in my official "G" monogrammed non-leaded-crystal decanter but had yet to taste in any reasonable quantity. As a Weller fan, I followed the advice of AaronWF and did a 3:5 vatting of (Binny's) WSR and OWA. Not quite up to WSR or Lot B standards, but an extremely nice wheater resulted indeed.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Then it was on to my "house pour," which I put together a few weeks back in my official "G" monogrammed non-leaded-crystal decanter but had yet to taste in any reasonable quantity. As a Weller fan, I followed the advice of AaronWF and did a 3:5 vatting of (Binny's) WSR and OWA. Not quite up to WSR or Lot B standards, but an extremely nice wheater resulted indeed.
    Are you saying you prefer the WSR alone to the vatting you did? Also, does your vatting have more WSR or more OWA? I prefer the ratio of 5 parts WSR to 3 parts OWA because it makes better use of the hand-picked Binny's WSR.

Myself, I cracked a 2011 GTS last night. It's been many, many months since I've had GTS, and the nose alone was enough to bring me back to my tour of BT's warehouses. I love that.

My approach to the 2010 GTS was very much novice, and my palate and experience has grown immensely over the last year (in inverse relation to my expendable cash account?). I'm anticipating that my bottle will open up quite nicely, but last night's pours offered supreme full bodied complexity. There was a bit of a stale note in the finish that may or may not improve with oxidation, but I still plan to pick up another bottle should I locate one.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Wow, total brain fart on my part. Meant to say Weller 12 on its own, not WSR. I definitely like the vatting more than WSR or OWA on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Are you saying you prefer the WSR alone to the vatting you did? Also, does your vatting have more WSR or more OWA? I prefer the ratio of 5 parts WSR to 3 parts OWA because it makes better use of the hand-picked Binny's WSR.

Myself, I cracked a 2011 GTS last night. It's been many, many months since I've had GTS, and the nose alone was enough to bring me back to my tour of BT's warehouses. I love that.

My approach to the 2010 GTS was very much novice, and my palate and experience has grown immensely over the last year (in inverse relation to my expendable cash account?). I'm anticipating that my bottle will open up quite nicely, but last night's pours offered supreme full bodied complexity. There was a bit of a stale note in the finish that may or may not improve with oxidation, but I still plan to pick up another bottle should I locate one.

Disciple

Vatted 2 parts 2010 Weller 12 and 1 part WLW 09 to get the proof to about 104...still hot...damn 09 WLW messing up a decent Weller 12 pour.
    Last edited by hectic1; 10-19-2011 at 17:31.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Vatted 2sparts 2010 Weller 12 and 1 part WLW 09 to get the proof to about 104...still hot...damn 09 WLW messing up a decent Weller 12 pour.
    Adding 1 part W12 to 4 parts WLW (2010) is my preferred way of drinking WLW. I get a Dr. Pepper/Amaretto nose from it...
    -Eric

Advanced Taster

A dram of "sour mash" Col. E. H. Taylor. I very much enjoy this (at least when not thinking what I paid for it.)
    -Eric