Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Opened up my first bottle of Rowan's Creek last Friday and have been enjoying the hell out of it. I've also been on a OGD BIB old fashioned kick lately.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit. I tried this at CnB about a month ago and went ETL #18 instead. One of the problems with an either or purchase between a rye bourbon and a wheater is that the ryes tend to be better right out of a new bottle. Both of the sample bottles were almost full. I keep thinking about going back for the OWA.

That's a great question - I picked up both while I was there last month. The ETL was my favorite of the two because the OWA was very woody and astringent at first. Over time, the OWA has mellowed and the sweeter flavors have come through making it a very enjoyable pour. The ETL, however, has slid in popularity. While I still like the flavor, the mouthfeel has become very thin to me so it always seems to be lacking. I would definitely recommend going back for an OWA, but be prepared to give it time to breathe.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

Last night I had some EC 18 barreled in March of 1981 and followed that up with some OGD BIB 1977-1985...I would definitely give the edge to the OGD BIB last night...that spicey rye goodness was just what the doctor ordered!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Apprentice

At the end of the birthday dinner for the girlfriend, my guys at the bar poured me a five bourbon blind taste. Picked Pappy 23 first go around, made a guess on the others and then was given the names un-ordered. Second time around picked out the Hirsch and Bulliet but had Willet Pot Still and LotB mixed up.

I was happy to even get one right after eating a four course meal with wine pairings. Im glad the girlfriend enjoyed watching me squirm being held to the fire by co-workers.

Connoisseur

After driving 630 gorgeous miles in intermittent rain with my family for Christmas vacation, it was the vatting of Weller 12 and OWA, as well as some JTS BrownBIB on the rocks. Man, I don't have any kind of problem with those HH bonded whiskeys.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

Some WTRB. Pretty good, but I'm picking up a smoky flavor in the finish that's taking some getting used to.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast

Enjoying several pours of 2010 Handy along with a good cigar as I await the next winter storm to hit my area of New Mexico.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Virtuoso

Old Ezra B 15 followed by Ritt BIB and 4R OESO for the night cap.

Disciple

While wrapping the rest of the Christmas gifts I look the liberty to taste test some Willett Hi Time Cellars 6yr, Toddy's Willett 10yr Purple Wax, and some Old Fitz BIB DSP 16/24. The Toddy's Purple Wax was the winner of the evening...very nice selection by the crew in Bardstown!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    While wrapping the rest of the Christmas gifts I look the liberty to taste test some Willett Hi Time Cellars 6yr, Toddy's Willett 10yr Purple Wax, and some Old Fitz BIB DSP 16/24. The Toddy's Purple Wax was the winner of the evening...very nice selection by the crew in Bardstown!
    Glad to see you coming around on the Toddy's purple wax. Good stuff and only 48 bottles from what Dougdog calls a "short" barrel adds some allure.

While watching my wife and daughter wrap presents I started with Old Fitz BIB from '84, then on to JDSB and a very small ending taste of a private bottling of 4R-OESO. The JDSB was the last 45ml of a bottle I've had open for over a year and its change of pace profile was what I needed, at least for this one night. Would consider another if I could get it at the $30 I paid for this now empty one.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011