Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

I went into the whole prospect feeling a bit skeptical, but really enjoyed my first imperialized Octoberfest lager, Avery's The Kaiser. Sweet, toasty malts and a bit of a kick with the 10 percent ABV....

Guru

A Sam Adams Oktoberfest following the Lions victory.

First time in 31 years, the Lions are 3-0.

Disciple

I'm just glad that I have Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford on my fantasy team.

Drank some Miller Lite, Allagash White, Cannon something, and some pumpkin beer today while watching football.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Enthusiast

I have working October fest. Some from the country of Origin - Spaten and HB, and some from the states Leinies and Great lakes and New Glarus. Good stuff all around. Also I went to Oktoberfest at St. Frances brewery an had a pint each of their Festive beer which is actually the same recipe only one has been cask conditioned. I definitely love cask when I can find it.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    I went into the whole prospect feeling a bit skeptical, but really enjoyed my first imperialized Octoberfest lager, Avery's The Kaiser. Sweet, toasty malts and a bit of a kick with the 10 percent ABV....
    I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a single beer from Avery. What's the skinny on them? Where to start?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    A Sam Adams Oktoberfest following the Lions victory.

First time in 31 years, the Lions are 3-0.
    Amazing game, Will! Despite being in the same division as my Bears, I was rooting for the Lions to be successful this year, though perhaps not this successful. At this rate, you'll be drinking a lot of celebratory beers this season.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
    ... Also I went to Oktoberfest at St. Frances brewery an had a pint each of their Festive beer which is actually the same recipe only one has been cask conditioned. I definitely love cask when I can find it.
    With all the beer-drinking fanatics here in Chicagoland, it always surprises me how little cask ale can be found in the better establishments. Even brew pubs rarely bother which is a real shame. Cask conditioned ale is the way to go, in my book. It can't be beaten!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a single beer from Avery. What's the skinny on them? Where to start?
    Really depends what you like, but I am a pretty big supporter of Avery. They operate out of my home-town of Boulder CO, have been in business since 1993. They have a great line of year round ales (IPA, White Rascal, Ellie's Brown, Out of Bounds Stout, Joe's Pilsner), which are all pretty widely available. I love their IPA and even their brown ale is nice, and I don't typically like brown ales.

I also like their seasonal's, but most like their limited releases, lots of crazy offerings and its clear they aren't afraid to mix things up, case in point: Mephistopholes Stout, 15% ABV (may have been a pissing contest though).

If you haven't tried Avery I recommend you give them a try, their Ellie's Brown ale wouldn't be a bad spot to start (not knowing your personal tastes), but their IPA is my personal favorite.

Bottoms Up

If you need it:
    http://www.averybrewing.com/our-ales

Guru

Amazing game, Will! Despite being in the same division as my Bears, I was rooting for the Lions to be successful this year, though perhaps not this successful. At this rate, you'll be drinking a lot of celebratory beers this season.
    Being a Lions fan for >50 years, I've watched many a game where you needed beer to drown your sorry.

I think those days may be ending for a while. I really like Schwartz as the coach. He is their best head coach in 50 years.

At the half I thought same old luck and Lions in Minnesota, and would watch the second half out of obligation. But I was in for a most pleasant surprise.

Virtuoso

With all the beer-drinking fanatics here in Chicagoland, it always surprises me how little cask ale can be found in the better establishments. Even brew pubs rarely bother which is a real shame. Cask conditioned ale is the way to go, in my book. It can't be beaten!
    Have you been to Owen and Engine? They have a revolving selection of cask conditioned ale (not to mention the best fish 'n chips I've ever had outside of London). I was there a few months ago and had a cask conditioned Scottish beer brewed with heather in place of hops. The heather gave it an exotic punch while still keeping it in the realm of tasting like beer, and delicious beer at that!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--