Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a single beer from Avery. What's the skinny on them? Where to start?
    Good question -- the Kaiser was a first for me from Avery, foisted upon me by a guy at Binny's in Willowbrook when I went to replenish my stock of Boulevard Bob's '47 Octoberfest.

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Really depends what you like, but I am a pretty big supporter of Avery. They operate out of my home-town of Boulder CO, have been in business since 1993. They have a great line of year round ales (IPA, White Rascal, Ellie's Brown, Out of Bounds Stout, Joe's Pilsner), which are all pretty widely available. I love their IPA and even their brown ale is nice, and I don't typically like brown ales.

I also like their seasonal's, but most like their limited releases, lots of crazy offerings and its clear they aren't afraid to mix things up, case in point: Mephistopholes Stout, 15% ABV (may have been a pissing contest though).

If you haven't tried Avery I recommend you give them a try, their Ellie's Brown ale wouldn't be a bad spot to start (not knowing your personal tastes), but their IPA is my personal favorite.

Bottoms Up

If you need it:
    http://www.averybrewing.com/our-ales
    Thanks!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Have you been to Owen and Engine? They have a revolving selection of cask conditioned ale (not to mention the best fish 'n chips I've ever had outside of London). I was there a few months ago and had a cask conditioned Scottish beer brewed with heather in place of hops. The heather gave it an exotic punch while still keeping it in the realm of tasting like beer, and delicious beer at that!
    I've enjoyed it there and also at the Two Brothers Tap House, which may or may not have it on a given weekend. (Really liked what it did to Cane & Ebel, which I already love.) Few other places mentioned here.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    I've enjoyed it there and also at the Two Brothers Tap House, which may or may not have it on a given weekend. (Really liked what it did to Cane & Ebel, which I already love.) Few other places mentioned here.
    I had casked Cane and Ebel at Owen and Engine too. I have to say I was pretty skeptical before I tasted it, as I'm not a fan of the bottled C&E, but it was a gorgeous beer from the cask.

The only issues I've run into with cask ales is that many of them are very low in alcohol, like in the 3%-4% range. They're tasty and totally appropriate for 7 am, but in the afternoon and evenings I much prefer my beer to start at or near 6% at a minimum.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Really depends what you like, but I am a pretty big supporter of Avery. They operate out of my home-town of Boulder CO, have been in business since 1993. They have a great line of year round ales (IPA, White Rascal, Ellie's Brown, Out of Bounds Stout, Joe's Pilsner), which are all pretty widely available. I love their IPA and even their brown ale is nice, and I don't typically like brown ales.

I also like their seasonal's, but most like their limited releases, lots of crazy offerings and its clear they aren't afraid to mix things up, case in point: Mephistopholes Stout, 15% ABV (may have been a pissing contest though).

If you haven't tried Avery I recommend you give them a try, their Ellie's Brown ale wouldn't be a bad spot to start (not knowing your personal tastes), but their IPA is my personal favorite.

Bottoms Up

If you need it:
    http://www.averybrewing.com/our-ales
    Thanks for the info! I guess what I was asking was which beer is considered their "flagship" product and/or best seller. I love IPA's so I'll start there and pick up a six pack this weekend. Hopefully they do a sampler twelve pack which would be even better. I think ALL micros should do samplers so we can taste the range of their products without breaking the bank or risking picking up a dud six pack.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Have you been to Owen and Engine? They have a revolving selection of cask conditioned ale (not to mention the best fish 'n chips I've ever had outside of London). I was there a few months ago and had a cask conditioned Scottish beer brewed with heather in place of hops. The heather gave it an exotic punch while still keeping it in the realm of tasting like beer, and delicious beer at that!
    That sounds great. Thanks for the tip! Having lived in England for a few years, I'm a "real ale" fanatic, so really appreciate cask-conditioned ale when I find it.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

I don't drink much beer any more but my wife likes to have one now and again. Generally she prefers American lagers, but she asked me to find something different. So I bought her a six-pack of Leinie's Sunset Wheat, because I know she likes wheat beers.

I didn't notice that the label reads "Beer with natural flavors." Coriander, to be exact. Well, I'm sure somebody likes it but it's going to go down the drain at our house unless I can find someone to pawn it off on.

It's a shame, too, because their wheat mash is actually pretty good.

Guru

During a recent visit to the Willowbrook Binny's, I was shocked by the proliferation of high-end canned beer (six packs in the $9 and above range). It seems like a "retro" thing but the guys from Oskar Blues make a good case for the use of modern-day aluminum cans over bottles on their web site, stating that the cans are different than the ones I grew up with and actually preserve the beer better (no light being the biggest factor) than your standard glass beer bottle. Interesting!

Virtuoso

One of our local up-and-comers, Surly, has "Beer for a glass, from a can," as their tag line.

Enthusiast

During a recent visit to the Willowbrook Binny's, I was shocked by the proliferation of high-end canned beer (six packs in the $9 and above range). It seems like a "retro" thing but the guys from Oskar Blues make a good case for the use of modern-day aluminum cans over bottles on their web site, stating that the cans are different than the ones I grew up with and actually preserve the beer better (no light being the biggest factor) than your standard glass beer bottle. Interesting!
    That's the same philosophy that Half-Acre up on the north side now follows, as they eliminated 12-ounce bottles in favor of 16-ounce cans. (Though they still do bomber bottles.) Also reduces shipping weight and total resource use.

Now if only Half-Acre could produce enough to send it to Willowbrook! (For now they only do the city and northern 'burbs.)

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the info! I guess what I was asking was which beer is considered their "flagship" product and/or best seller. I love IPA's so I'll start there and pick up a six pack this weekend. Hopefully they do a sampler twelve pack which would be even better. I think ALL micros should do samplers so we can taste the range of their products without breaking the bank or risking picking up a dud six pack.
    Right on, their original flagships were Redpoint Amber (retired), Ellies Brown, and Out of Bounds Stout. I don't think Avery does a sampler pack, but I do agree about liking variety. I wish all companies did, but I can understand why they don't. I don't think you'll run into a dud from Avery, but since you like IPA's I'd say get 6 of the IPA and 6 of the Ellies (flagship). Some stores do make your own 6 packs where you can mix and match too, I always try to do that when trying a new brewery.