Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

Just tried a new one.... to me, anyway. Widmer Bros. Winter Style. Very good stuff.

Enthusiast

Smuttynose IPA and Founders Breakfast stout

Connoisseur
    Hibernation Ale from Great Divide. Wishing I could find the oak aged Hibernation but doesn't appear to be close to Cincinnati. Also tried the Big Eddy Russian Imperial last night. Not normally a Leiney fan but I really enjoyed it.

Connoisseur

Cantillon St Lamvinus

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    Hibernation Ale from Great Divide. Wishing I could find the oak aged Hibernation but doesn't appear to be close to Cincinnati. Also tried the Big Eddy Russian Imperial last night. Not normally a Leiney fan but I really enjoyed it.
    The GD Hibernation is one of my all time favorite beers. It is a seasonal and usually available November-February. Great divide does oak aging in a giant oak tank and they also age beers in Stranahan's whiskey barrels on occasion. I don't think they have done a regular oak aged Hibernation but there have been 2 releases of the barrel aged done in the past with the most recent being 2009. There are barrels of Hibernation aging as we speak and I've heard it might be ready for bottling in March or April 2012. In 2009 there were only 492 bottles and I don't they were distributed out of Denver. This batch is a good bit larger, but will still be tough to find out of Denver. They bottled the barrel aged yeti about a month and a half ago. I was told that only a handful of cases were sent out to the distributors as thank yous for supporting the product. Not sure if any of those made it to out of state shelves or not. If you can find it, the barrel aged Hibernation is exceptional though and definitely worth some level of effort.

Enthusiast

Enjoyed my first taste of The Vixen from Sam Adams last night, part of a new line of bombers they're doing. Nice subdued chocolate and chili thing going on. Not overpowering, but a nice warm 8.5 percent bock.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

An Oaked Arrogant Bastard, after a very, very, long day. I earned my money today.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Cigar City "Jai Alai" IPA. Very serviceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Just poured one for the Bengals -titans game. There is a unique flavor in jai alai that I can't quite put my finger on, but it makes it a nice change of pace IPA compared to the masses.
    I had one of these the other day as well and thought it was pretty good. Not as overly hoppy as some IPAs can get, but still enough to remind me that it is an IPA. It was a good change from the lagers that I had been drinking.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Cantillon St Lamvinus
    I love me some St. Lamvinus. I picked up a classic gueuze at Belmont not long ago, but haven't seen anything else in the state (or anywhere else for that matter) in awhile.

I popped a Rose at a tasting a week or so ago and absolutely loved it - barnyard, mud, cherry - just a great mix of complex aromas and flavors. I've picked up about 6 bottle of 3F gueuze in the last few months as well, but haven't tried the two side-by-side ever. I'm hoping the 3F does well in the comparison since it's much easier to get.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    I love me some St. Lamvinus. I picked up a classic gueuze at Belmont not long ago, but haven't seen anything else in the state (or anywhere else for that matter) in awhile.

I popped a Rose at a tasting a week or so ago and absolutely loved it - barnyard, mud, cherry - just a great mix of complex aromas and flavors. I've picked up about 6 bottle of 3F gueuze in the last few months as well, but haven't tried the two side-by-side ever. I'm hoping the 3F does well in the comparison since it's much easier to get.
    Ah, Belmont, Dayton's diamond in the rough, best beer selection in town.