Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

HOPSLAM! Glad it finally made it to DC.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Tried this one for the first time last night as part of a mixed sixer. Sweet and creamy definitely summed it up for me. I haven't had many Great Lakes offerings (which is odd, considering my love of breweries from the Great Lakes region), but I definitely picked up a resemblance to the Christmas Ale, minus the ginger and cinnamon.
    I find a family resemblance in all Great Lakes beers I've had, much more so than beers from any other distillery I'm familiar with. There's a water minerality to them that I'm really keen on.

I stopped in at the Long Room before dinner last night and had GL's Black Out Stout. It was a very drinkable stout with plenty of flavor but somewhat laking in body, and it displayed the GL's minerality right up front. I also had some Founder's Red's Rye. I've had it before but it tasted better last night than I remember it.

I also noticed that they have some Big Hugs coming to their taps soon. Soon as in they have the keg(s) and the owner will hook it up when the mood strikes him. They are also having some sort of Goose Island event in the coming weeks where they will be pouring some BCS '09 and '10 from their taps... That I do not want to miss!

BTW, I realize that this is last season's beer thread...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur
    Found heaven on earth last night, Hopslam on draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    Found heaven on earth last night, Hopslam on draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe that Cock n Bull Hyde Park is tapping CBS on Thursday night.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I find a family resemblance in all Great Lakes beers I've had, much more so than beers from any other distillery I'm familiar with. There's a water minerality to them that I'm really keen on.
    It's the water, indeed. Samuel Smith is another brewery that has a "house" style driven by the water -- kind of metallic, maybe a bit souring, in SS's case.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

I'm trying to get into the Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout -- had my second last night, and just wasn't "feeling" it. It's sweet, it's a bit malty, it's easygoing...and leaves me wanting something more.

I like the few cream stouts I've had (Sam Adams, Bell's Double), and it's my understanding that cream and milk stouts are both so labelled due to the use of lactose. So what am I missing with the well-respected Left Hand?
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

I need to get some Hopslam sent to CA. I ended up with 24 bottles last year. Headed to get Pliny The Younger on draft at the brewery tomorrow.

Connoisseur

all good. the Leiney loses its head fast and is a little thin, but quite nutty.
    the Boont was quite tasty; spicy.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Virtuoso

I'm a big fan of Great Lakes Brewery. There isn't much I don't like from them.

Another brand/brewery I find has a "house" profile is Sierra Nevada. Every offering I've tried from them has that signature dry/bitter/overly hoppy note to it.

I like dry and hoppy..... to a point, but this brewery is over the top with the bitter, hoppy thing, IMO.

Connoisseur

Too preoccupied to respond last night, but was drinking Shiner and Lone Star to celebrate Texas Independence Day, even though I live in Georgia. When people ask where I am from, my wife responds that I am from Texas for me! Best of both worlds!