Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Fall 2011

Thought I'd give Old Grandad 114 a try. Its a little rough but I'm a big Basel Hayden's fan and recently learned that "Old Granddad" was created by one of Hayden's grandsons and named after him.......so I had to try it. I'm going to say it's OK.....probably worth the 24.00 bucks I spent on it.

Connoisseur

Well I purchased a KBD Vintage 17 today from TPS, but I orded it as an in store pick-up and won't get down there until next Saturday. It's going to be a long week.

I've asked this before on here but got little response: Anyone have this recently? It is now a wheater, but I've seen very little as far as tasting notes specific to the wheated edition of V17.

Party Source had a Willett Selection - barrel 14a - unchill-filtered barrel strength wheater, 17 years old. Is the Vintage 17 a filtered 94 proof version of the same wheated bourbon?

Virtuoso

My understanding is that the Vintage 17 is a vatting or mingling of a number of barrels from the batch of barrels that the PS Willett 17 was chosen from. The Willett is bottled at barrel proof and is unfiltered. The vintage 17 is bottled at a lower proof and I don't know if it's chill filtered.

The NOSE is sweet with notes of damp oak, straw and some sort of caramel desert. Just a light alcohol character in the background. Pleasant.

The TASTE is initially dryish with a large mid palate sweetness developing quickly and progressing into a thick dryish mouth feel.

The FINISH is longish and mostly sweet with an interesting counterpoint of dry woody character.

Some will find the old wood taste off putting but for me the sweetness saves it and makes it a pour I enjoy sipping.

The newer wheated version has a very slightly darker green label than the previous version. You will need a good eye and a side by side comparison to tell the difference.

Disciple

Picked up another Pappy 15 and 20 for the bunker...man those things are getting hard to come by!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    My understanding is that the Vintage 17 is a vatting or mingling of a number of barrels from the batch of barrels that the PS Willett 17 was chosen from. The Willett is bottled at barrel proof and is unfiltered. The vintage 17 is bottled at a lower proof and I don't know if it's chill filtered.

The NOSE is sweet with notes of damp oak, straw and some sort of caramel desert. Just a light alcohol character in the background. Pleasant.

The TASTE is initially dryish with a large mid palate sweetness developing quickly and progressing into a thick dryish mouth feel.

The FINISH is longish and mostly sweet with an interesting counterpoint of dry woody character.

Some will find the old wood taste off putting but for me the sweetness saves it and makes it a pour I enjoy sipping.

The newer wheated version has a very slightly darker green label than the previous version. You will need a good eye and a side by side comparison to tell the difference.

Thanks for the info. As far as the label color, I received an email from Drew Kulsveen at KBD about the Vintage 17 stating the rye based Vintage 17 was being cleared out of inventory in 2008. Any retailer with even moderate turnover would be stocking the newer wheated version now. Party source has been out of Vintage 17 for at least a week or so until yesterday, so I made my purchase. Not sure I'll see the older lighter colored label to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ajax View Post
    Thought I'd give Old Grandad 114 a try. Its a little rough but I'm a big Basel Hayden's fan and recently learned that "Old Granddad" was created by one of Hayden's grandsons and named after him.......so I had to try it. I'm going to say it's OK.....probably worth the 24.00 bucks I spent on it.
    If your not too kean on the OGD 114 try the OGD BIB. Basil Hayden and OGD are all from the same mash bill. Basil Hayden is just older and 80 proof.
    Now if you can find some old ND OGD you'll forget all about that BH.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I convinced myself that I was above all this PVW silliness and I haven't bought a bottle in years. Well a newly acquired friend was in a stir about the "shortage" and said he couldn't get on the list at his usual place. He talked me into signing up at few places with him. As a result I now have a bottle of PVW 15 & 20 at home. I still think all the hullabaloo is silly but it's not like I won't drink them.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Enthusiast

1 ORVW 10/107
    4 Lot B
    1 PVW 20

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty tracking down any of the 15 this year. The price went up to $55 for the Lot B which starts to make me debate the value. I'm wishing I had bought more 15 over the years.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    My sister just got back from vacationing in SC, and she brought back a bottle of EWBIB for me. Sweet!

That's cool, your sister rocks! Is she single?
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    That's cool, your sister rocks! Is she single?
    You're about 2 years too late!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay