Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

David Nicholson BIB

[IMG][/IMG]

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this clearly states it was distilled at DSP KY 16?

From reading a few posts, I'm gathering this juice did not come from Stitzel-Weller. And after tasting it, I have to say it doesn't seem to have the rich caramel flavor I get from my SW Old Fitz. It tastes more like a young Beam product or maybe HH, woody and nutty. Not bad, but not SW. Or maybe I've just had too much wine with dinner tonight and my taste buds are shot!

ira

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: David Nicholson BIB

That's a pretty old bottle, as evidenced by the David Sherman website, or perhaps it's just an old label. Assuming the former, it could be SW juice, not all of which was stellar. Run of the mill 4-year-old SW was good but not necessarily great whiskey.

It could also be the latter, as TTB does allow producers to use up their label inventory before making a change. DSP accuracy aside, I doubt Luxco would continue for long to put out product bearing its former corporate name. Lax compliance with TTB regulations is one thing, bad branding is quite another.

Novice

Thanks Chuck!

Also, I love your book, Bourbon, Straight. It, along with The Social History of Bourbon are my two favorite books about my favorite libation.

I was not aware that the TTB allowed a distillery to use labels after a move, interesting. Seems dumb and a bit strange for BIB labels, at least to those of us who actually pay attention to DSP.

This bottle of David Nicholson did not come from a dusty hunt. I bought it at a store that has an abundance of bourbons and sells through them rather quickly. They had placed a special order for this, as well as JW Dant and a handful of other labels. They were only on the shelves for a couple of months before I purchased the bottle, a couple of months ago...

ira

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

The David Nicholson brand wasn't ever a big seller outside the midwest. Not knowing where you are......but it could be old stock sitting at the distributor. Even though Texas was/is the biggest market for the various Wellers over the years (from SW et al), Nicholson never sold much here. Could have been that Sherman just didn't have good distribution in Texas although Rebel Yell is in the marketplace here.

My best guess is it is old stock sitting around the distributor's facilities.

Randy

iraethan appears to be in Milwaukee, not exactly David Nicholson territory. I associate the brand with Luxco's home turf, the St. Louis area. Off the top of my head, I'd say David Sherman has been Luxco for ten years at least. Randy's theory is a good one. I also recall some posters here over the years who have raved about their David Nicholson finds.

Novice

Thanks for the responses fellas.

I gave the bottle a revisit this afternoon and looked at my original tasting notes. My first reaction a few months ago was that it was "a nice sipping Bourbon at 100 proof," but it definitely tastes young to me.

I guess its probably worth picking up a few more bottles, as it was under $15, and if Randy's theory is correct, it was distilled during the final years of SW.

Cheers!

ira

Not that anyone would want to poach your stash or anything, but I'm sure there are readers here in the Milwaukee area, if that's where these are, who would like to do their own sampling if you care to share the location. Perhaps after you've decided you have all you need.

You might also ask the retailer if he knows where they came from. He probably won't but he might.

Sightings of David Nicholson are pretty rare and so, for that matter, are sightings of any BIB except Old Grand-Dad outside of the South.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-27-2011 at 16:53.

Virtuoso

If I recall, there are several of these bottles in the central Ill area.(I saw them at 4 or 5 stores. and they all had several bottles.... and I was told by 2 shop owners that they were "new" bottlings.

I thought there was a thread here that stated ended with the thoughts that the label was just wrong....
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    If I recall, there are several of these bottles in the central Ill area.(I saw them at 4 or 5 stores. and they all had several bottles.... and I was told by 2 shop owners that they were "new" bottlings.

I thought there was a thread here that stated ended with the thoughts that the label was just wrong....
    Wrong but legal, assuming they are using up their existing inventory. Wrong and illegal if they printed new labels knowing the whiskey wasn't from DSP-16.

Although DSP-16 is still an active license nothing has been distilled under that license for almost 20 years.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I did too but I searched for a while and couldn't come up with it. I recall seeing some David Nicholson BIB in the squat anchor type bottle in the store on Argyle in Uptown (Chicago) that had DSP 16 labels but bottle date of 05 or later, can't quite remember. I left it there.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011