Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Ralfy's #219 re Miniatures is worth a look

I don't see much variety in minis and that is indeed too bad. They would be the perfect way for distillers to introduce their whiskey and increase sales by avoiding sticker shock. I only see brandy, cognac, JD, JB and JW by the checkout. If distilleries introduced half or mini size bottlings they would potentially help their market share by bringing a more affordable product to the shelves.

Enthusiast

Re: Ralfy's #219 re Miniatures is worth a look

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I don't see much variety in minis and that is indeed too bad. They would be the perfect way for distillers to introduce their whiskey and increase sales by avoiding sticker shock. I only see brandy, cognac, JD, JB and JW by the checkout. If distilleries introduced half or mini size bottlings they would potentially help their market share by bringing a more affordable product to the shelves.
    The last couple of years (that I've noticed) Beam has released gift packs that include all the small batch collection in minis around Thanksgiving/Christmas. Here, they start off $19.99 and by New Year or right after they're reduced to $9.99. I have 2 stuck in the back of my bar. Reminds me that I need to try Booker's and Baker's.

Add Crown Royal and Jager to minis seen at checkout. I've also seen WT Rare Breed in some places.

Guru

As far as minis and 100ml and 200ml bottles it depends on where you live.
    Here in MI we can get all three of those sizes in cheap vodka, gin and Canadiens.
    I'm always envious of the selection in KY.
    ovh

Guru

The Holiday season will be the time to look for sure. A broader selection would be a smart way to intro a product. Too often the appearance of minis by the cash register seems a bit unseemly, like only the hard core alcoholics pick them up because they are cheaper etc. I wonder if there are local regulations about such sizes because the community thinks they encourage abuse etc.
    Last edited by Jono; 09-26-2011 at 14:15.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    .... Too often the appearance of minis by the cash register seems a bit unseemly,
    I imagine their placement there is an anti-theft measure.

But it does srike me as odd that only large volume products are usualy sold that way. I vote for more minis........ and for that matter, more half-pints.

Oddly enough I've seen Four Roses Single Barrel in a miniature but not Yellow Label or Small Batch. The most expensive mini I've seen is the Louis XIII de Rémy Martin at Bevmo ($440 for 50 mL).

I've heard somewhere that it's expensive for producers to release small volumes because the bottles often cost the same regardless of size differences.
    Last edited by Shuboy; 09-26-2011 at 17:48.

Guru

Once resource I found:

http://www.beerliquors.com/buy/liquors/miniatures.htm

"Welcome. This is our section for Miniature Bottle. You'll find here mostly mini liquor bottles, Bourbon, Cognac, Gin, Liqueur, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, Irish and Scotch Whiskey, Irish Cream... "

http://www.internetwines.com/spirits-minatures50ml.html

Mostly sold in 10+ packs...not much whiskey.

The U.K. has access to some American whiskey minis:
    http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-393.aspx

JD, JB Black, BT, Bulleit, plus Canadian Wisers, CC

Export market drive?

Hopefully Lost Polito can let us know what Binnys can obtain, so far, not much is listed online.
    Last edited by Jono; 09-26-2011 at 21:30.

Connoisseur

Is it profitable to produce minis? I realize the price per volume is high, but is the bulk sufficient for producers to make much money in that market?
    Craig

Disciple

Mini's are actually illegal in Chicago. They lead to underage drinking. We've also banned spray paint. That really seems to be cutting down on the graffiti. The ban on being able to carry a firearm also seems to have stopped violent offenses.

Connoisseur

only minis I ever buy are rare breed. and I know somebody will think I need shooting, they are just the right size to go in a can of coca cola after you have dranka little of it. especially when traveling with kids and the wife is driving.