Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Voshole

Re: The Pre Pro Graham Bros Distillery Rockford, Il

Look at the map again, over on the far left side, almost at the edge of the map, just south of Main Street and you'll see #37. It's faint and tough to see, I had to go to full zoom. This matches the 1600 S. Main street address.

The location you're refering to on the north side of State St must be 31. When I was a kid the State Theatre was there, and now it's a high rise for seniors, the Luther Center. It also houses the N. Illinois Synod offices for the Evangelical Luthern Church.

The bottom line, however, is that the distillery is no longer there

Gary
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Guru

Good catch, I was searching all over that map and could not locate 37 and was unsure if the script digit was a "1" or a "7" at the bridge site. The location on the map shows the distiller on Lincoln St between Rock and Main....the river was right there.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Rockford&state=IL
    See satellite view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...-na-us-gns-svn
    Street view...industrial buildings...Miller Engineering among others. A shabby liquor store...Laredo liquor is a block away.

Graham Street (appears to have been part of Lincoln in the past) runs right in front of the old location which appears to have some buildings on it today. Graham street is the only historical marker of the distillery. South Park is across the street from the old location. I wonder what the river bed would bring up if dredged...old bottles etc.
    Last edited by Jono; 10-20-2011 at 08:48.

The Voshole

[A shabby liquor store...Laredo liquor is a block away.quote]

Shabby is being nice to this place. I went in once, just because you have to check out any and all liquor stores, and the word "dump" is probably more appropriate.

A friend of mine is an attorney for the state and prosecutes mainly drug and murder busts. He claims there's an average of 1 drug bust a month in their parking lot. Nice area

Gary
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    Look at the map again, over on the far left side, almost at the edge of the map, just south of Main Street and you'll see #37. It's faint and tough to see, I had to go to full zoom. This matches the 1600 S. Main street address.

The location you're refering to on the north side of State St must be 31. When I was a kid the State Theatre was there, and now it's a high rise for seniors, the Luther Center. It also houses the N. Illinois Synod offices for the Evangelical Luthern Church.
    Good eye!

I was unsure when I looked at it, but yours is definitely a 37. Plus the location makes a lot of sense. Looking at Google, I knew there was a Graham St in Rockford, but it isn't labeled on the antique map (I should have seen Lincoln though).

I haven't heard anything back from the historical society, but I would love to learn more about this distillery.

Scott

Guru

Be sure to post if you get some info from them...a fascinating piece of local history.