Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

what is floating in my Bourbon?

There is a stringy thing in the bottom of my bourbon. It looks like a cross between snot & pulp from orange juice.
    There is also another non-stringy piece that is floating around in there.

This bottle has only been opened one day, and the rest of the bourbon is not off color or anything. I didn't detect any bad flavors just some junk swirling around in there.

Should I worry about it? Have you ever seen anything like this? Would the booze kill the germs if somebody at the distillery spit in it?

John F

Enthusiast

Re: what is floating in my Bourbon?

>There is a stringy thing in the bottom of my bourbon. It looks like a cross
    >between snot & pulp from orange juice.

What you have there is what I like to call Authenticity. That's what you've got.
    It means that they didn't filter the living hell out of your bourbon. You should
    be proud to have some all-American haze in there. (It's caused by some of
    the tastiest bits in bourbon: ethyl esters. )

It might help us if you mention what brand of bourbon you're enjoyin' there.

>Would the booze kill the germs if somebody at the distillery spit in it?

Yup.

Apprentice

"It might help us if you mention what brand of bourbon you're enjoyin' there."

This one happens to be Old Charter 8 YO. Do certain brands have a process of less filtering?

I have not noticed this haze before but I never really looked for it & it seems I've been enjoying some older stuff that the darker colors may be helping to hide.

John F

Advanced Taster

LOL...I wouldn't worry about it. I've got something similar floating in my bottle of EWSB '91. I don't remember seeing it when I first bought the bottle. It may be a small piece of cork that fell off in the bourbon but it gives the impression of mosquito larvae everytime I look at it.

-Troy

Administrator in exile

I must be the typical consumer for which they go through all of this filtering trouble, because if I see anything in my bourbon that resembles snot or larvae, it's going down the drain, don't care how much it cost or how good it is (was). I'm not a squeemish person, but something like that could permenantly scar my bourbon enjoyment.

Advanced Taster

Well, I did have an experience several nights ago that was sickening and frustrating. A small fly, possibly a fruit fly, found its way into my last sip of WT Kentucky Spirit. I entertained the notion of fishing the bug out and continuing with my drink but I just couldn't do it....not even with KS. That was hopefully the only time in my life that I'll ever have to pour Kentucky Spirit down the drain.

I've noticed those little critters flying around food scraps before. They seem to be fond of vegetables and fruit and seem to mysteriously appear in our house during springtime and the early summer months. We don't have swarms....just 2 or 3 here and there....

A few years back I made some apple wine and during the fermentation process those little pests came out of the woodwork and tried their best to foul up the process. I've heard of flies and their accompanying bacteria imparting bad flavors to wine if certain precautions are not taken.

I guess I need to pour a glass of "Old Rotgut" and let it sit in the open for a while as a flycatcher. Then maybe I can drink some decent bourbon in peace.

-Troy

Guru

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This one happens to be Old Charter 8 YO.

[/QUOTE] Now I feel cheated. I just checked my bottle of OC8, and it is crystal clear.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Apprentice

"Now I feel cheated"

Yeah, well I must have the magic touch because I've been lucky like this before. Years ago I had a buddy pick up a bottle of Khalua for me in Mexico ($5 in MEX. $35 in US.)

With the first pour a crazy looking Mexican wasp came spilling out. It had two sets of wings and they were both in the open position as if this thing flew top speed into a vat of Khalua.

At that time (age) any liquor was hard to come by, so after much conversation we decided that they put a worm in Tequila, so how bad could a wasp be in Kahula.

Hey, we never got sick

John F

Administrator in exile

With the first pour a crazy looking Mexican wasp came spilling out

[/QUOTE]

Oh my God No more mudsliders for me Actually, that stopped almost ten years ago after one very eventful weekend. Khalua+Irish Cream+Vodka x 10 = no more mudsliders...ever

Connoisseur

Jeff,
    I must be the typical consumer for which they go through all of this filtering trouble, because if I see anything in my bourbon that resembles snot or larvae, it's going down the drain, don't care how much it cost or how good it is (was).

[/QUOTE]
    Thank you sir, for stepping up to the plate here. I read the explanation...I'm not squeemish either (I love sushi... ), but Gawd...never anything slimey... .
    Khalua+Irish Cream+Vodka x 10 = no more mudsliders...ever

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, if you like Khalua, you can try making your own. However, that can be confusing too, since it involves Vodka. Check out the Vodka thread, Chuck just told me that lower shelf Vodkas are a watered down version of our locally bottled white dawg kinda stuff.
    I think the moral to this story is, you are better off without the Mudslides...