Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BOTM: 3/11 Old Fitzgerald BIB

Okay folks, I just made it under the wire. I really debated on this one. I was really excited about this as BOTM. Then, last night, as I started to post it, I realized that it had already been done back in August of 2005. My bad. I missed this one when I was transposing Silverfish's list. Today I said, "What the heck!" I'll do it anyway.

New, old, in-between. Let's hear it for Old Fitz BIB!

This month I will leave my taste notes out for the most part (At least for now.) I will only say that the current version is good. A great value pour. The older version(s) is, well... great. 'Nuff Ced. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM: 3/11 Old Fitzgerald BIB

current version - relatively difficult to find in houston. anyway, as for the current version, it's been a while but if my memory is correct, straight out of the bottle, neat, the smell of alcohol dominates and it is simple and thin with a short finish. letting it breath a bit and a splash of water improves it greatly though. good value but i think there are better value pours out there. however, being partial to wheaters, i was going to the current OF BIB fairly regularly for a while. i have several bottles in my bunker but i doubt i will add anymore.

Disciple

Does anyone know if this can be found in Georgia? I haven't seen it and would love to pick up a bottle to try if it can be found.

Thanks!

Jack
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Enthusiast

Boatloads of this on the shelves around here. Never pulled the trigger, but this gives me an excuse. I'll stop by and pick one up on the way home tomorrow.

Disciple

Current DSP-KY-1 liter bottled in 2009: Nose seems muted, balanced yet mid-palate flavors are a bit mild. Like the finish the most, with touches of maple and cinnamon. It's okay. I bought this bottle 6 months ago, and doubt that I would buy it again. When it comes to entry-level wheaters, I choose something Weller.

DSP-KY-16 200ml bottled in 1993(UPC 88076): Much more buttery/velvety texture in the mid-palate. More caramel, with a longer finish with lingering allspice and clove. (Found 10 bottles for $2.99 each. The store had everything behind glass, and I had to keep asking owner to hold the bottle closer so I could verify the DSP number. A line of customers was forming behind me and as I was gathering my bottles one VERY drunk customer yelled out, "He's gonna get f--ked up tonight!" This was around 10:00am. Priceless. )

DSP-KY-16 750ml bottled in 1985(UPC88508): Much sweeter nose, with a fat middle. Toffee, maple, with a slightly woody finish. Decadent. Best of the bunch. (Found 6 of these for $13.10 a bottle 2 days before last x-mas.)

Love this BOTM choice! Lots of fun to do, but it does leave me wondering as to how much my mind came into play with this tasting. Later this month I'll have my wife set up a blind tasting so that I won't be staring at that DSP number the whole time. Who knows what the results will be then.

Taster

I can barely find Old Fitz, let alone BIB, I'm out this month, so I'm gonna repeat last months selection.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    The store had everything behind glass, and I had to keep asking owner to hold the bottle closer so I could verify the DSP number. A line of customers was forming behind me and as I was gathering my bottles one VERY drunk customer yelled out, "He's gonna get f--ked up tonight!" This was around 10:00am. Priceless. )

DSP-KY-16 750ml bottled in 1985(UPC88508): Much sweeter nose, with a fat middle. Toffee, maple, with a slightly woody finish. Decadent. Best of the bunch. (Found 6 of these for $13.10 a bottle 2 days before last x-mas.)

Love this BOTM choice! Lots of fun to do, but it does leave me wondering as to how much my mind came into play with this tasting. Later this month I'll have my wife set up a blind tasting so that I won't be staring at that DSP number the whole time. Who knows what the results will be then.
    Love that story! I don't know about you, but I could pick out that SW bottling from the rest every time . I love the sweetness married with the uniqueness of DSP16 yeast flavor.

Guru

Haven't seen any Fitzgerald around here in quite a while.

Connoisseur

Never seen it in NYC.

Guru

Curious because we get a lot of Heaven Hill products locally.