Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 10/11: Angel's Envy

Quote Originally Posted by K_Henderson View Post
    We will be producing eventually, most likely starting sometime next year. As for locations, we will certainly be in Kentucky. Louisville would be ideal for us (main street), but there are some other locations on the table as well.

And if it sounds like I might have an "in", it's because I am the third generation Henderson! Long time reader, but recently joined the forums.
    Thank you for responding. Any info on a cask strength release?

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Thank you for responding. Any info on a cask strength release?
    Nothing official for the time being. We have some stuff that could possibly be used for it, sitting in port barrels for a year now, but we need to get more regular AE out the door first.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by K_Henderson View Post
    Nothing official for the time being. We have some stuff that could possibly be used for it, sitting in port barrels for a year now, but we need to get more regular AE out the door first.
    I've been refraining, but I must ask. Why do you feel the need to "get more regular AE out the door first?" Everyone at Whiskey Fest that I spoke to was loving the higher proof, but not the standard.

If you wow us first, you'll have our attention, but if you don't, and it would appear that you haven't based on the responses, then you lose us as steady customers. If you had released some cask strength, then the connoisseur's would be praising your efforts.

If you charge more for higher proof, you still keep your margins intact, so please explain your business plan as stated above. Sorry to be a pain, and I mean no disrespect, but I'm just trying to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I've been refraining, but I must ask. Why do you feel the need to "get more regular AE out the door first?" Everyone at Whiskey Fest that I spoke to was loving the higher proof, but not the standard.

If you wow us first, you'll have our attention, but if you don't, and it would appear that you haven't based on the responses, then you lose us as steady customers. If you had released some cask strength, then the connoisseur's would be praising your efforts.

If you charge more for higher proof, you still keep your margins intact, so please explain your business plan as stated above. Sorry to be a pain, and I mean no disrespect, but I'm just trying to understand.
    We are trying to build a national brand, but currently are only available in 10ish states. As we continue to grow our demand for the standard product is exploding. And I would respectfully say that the greater majority of our responses have been wow's. While people who have tried the cask strength usually love it, from the various shows and tastings I've done, they still enjoy the standard.

Virtuoso

I haven't been particularly impressed any time I've tried AE. And at $40+ this is one bottle you won't find on my bar anytime soon.

I would pay $40-50 for a CS version.

Disciple

I'm in wine distribution. I've worked with hundreds of producers at countless trade shows, as well as tastings for civilians. Most people will never tell you what they really think to your face. You'll hear nothing but praise at things like Whiskey Fest, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sorry to be so prickly, but I am the White Dog.

Novice

I was at the Binnys in Downers Grove, IL 2 weeks ago (in Downers for business, so HAD to finally stop by for the first time ever). I was amazed at the bourbon selection (especially since truly diving into bourbon only a year or two ago). I saw a few bottles of AE in a cart, but no prices. I asked a gentleman about it while holding a select barrel of Knob Creek. He said it was $49 and asked me if I wanted his opinion. I said sure and he said take the AE above everything except the highest end stuff in the place. I did and I really enjoy it. Good flavor (I still don't know if I can specify flavors yet) but I really enjoyed the finish. Definitely the best finish of anything I have had (I have been working hard this last year to try everything I can).

After getting his opinions of several other bottles I had thought about, I mentioned that I was impressed by his selection. He said there is a reason for that....he liked bourbon (suggesting he was the manager or owner). Not sure what his name was though.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    I still haven't tried it. No sign of it in Georgia.
    Got mine in the mail :wink: it'll find it's place but I don't reach for it. It occurs to me that the scots love to do " barrel Finished" but then again all scotch is aged in a barrel that wasn't good for someone anymore. One man's trash...