Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Best ginger ales/brews for bourbon/rye

I've been experimenting with several ginger brews lately and testing their compatibility with whiskey. Here are my favorite results so far:

Blenheim Red Cap
    The mother of all ginger ales! Light up front but with a huge spicy ginger bite at the end. So far I've mixed it with OWA and Bulleit with fantastic results!

Maine Root Ginger Brew
    My second favorite so far in my endeavors. Sweeter and less spicy that Blenheim but still very good. Wonderful texture too. Still has a spicy ginger kick at the end. Was beautiful with Four Roses Small Batch!

Bundaberg Ginger Beer
    Used this to make a Kentucky Mule, which is like a Moscow Mule with bourbon instead of vodka. Was excellent!

Sprecher Ginger Brew
    This was a light and dry ginger brew. We mixed it with Bulleit and fresh spiced cider. A very refreshing fall cocktail. Would have also been good warm instead of on ice.

Advanced Taster

Re: Best ginger ales/brews for bourbon/rye

Reed's Extra Ginger Brew
    Spiciest, most dominantly ginger beer, all time favorite, extremely balanced, my all time favorite

Bundaberg Ginger Beer
    Excellent all arounder, not too powerful

Cock N' Bull Ginger Beer
    Almost as much of a kick as Reed's, #2 favorite.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The main thing to consider about ginger-based sodas is that there is a great range out there and the most fun thing is to taste them for yourself. Even among the major brands there is quite a diversity of flavors.

That said, I always have to recommend Ale-8-One which, as the only ginger ale that's Kentucky born and bred, has a particular affinity for bourbon.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Reed's Extra Ginger Brew
    Spiciest, most dominantly ginger beer, all time favorite, extremely balanced, my all time favorite

Bundaberg Ginger Beer
    Excellent all arounder, not too powerful

Cock N' Bull Ginger Beer
    Almost as much of a kick as Reed's, #2 favorite.
    I had the Reed's Premium and didn't really care for it, was quite fruity and mild despite saying "STRONG GINGER BITE" on the bottle. I did see the Extra Ginger Brew while at the store, perhaps I'll get it next time

Virtuoso

Give this a try.....

Ginger Syrup
    cup sugar (fine turbinado)
    cup water
    lb. fresh ginger root (peeled and finely grated)

In a small saucepan bring the sugar, water, and ginger to a boil. Turn off the heat, and allow to steep and cool for one hour. Strain off the ginger pieces, and reserve the syrup.

Add a bit of seltzer and the bourbon of your choice. I don't peel my ginger and find that adds a bit more zip. Use the freshest ginger you can find as I feel it loses heat as it gets older....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    I had the Reed's Premium and didn't really care for it, was quite fruity and mild despite saying "STRONG GINGER BITE" on the bottle. I did see the Extra Ginger Brew while at the store, perhaps I'll get it next time
    Yes, their original one is not quite as good in my opinion, it is good if you do like the fruitiness because thats not often found in other ginger ales. However the Extra Ginger brew does pack quite a punch, much better if you do want that spicy ginger kick.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Red Rock is another one that will kick you in the throat if you're not careful. Very spicy. I like Ale-8 if I'm in the mood for a softer, fruitier flavor. I find it mixes particularly well with Bulleit Rye. I'll take regular Canada Dry for just a simple Rye & Ginger, but I'll usually through a few shakes of Regan's Orange Bitters in there to liven it up a bit.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Vernor's is a unique Ginger Ale from the Michigan area - I don't know that you can find it outside of the great lakes area, but it's a good one, if you want to try something different.

I'm looking forward to trying the Blenheim's, though - love the big ginger burn!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Vernor's is a unique Ginger Ale from the Michigan area - I don't know that you can find it outside of the great lakes area, but it's a good one, if you want to try something different.

I'm looking forward to trying the Blenheim's, though - love the big ginger burn!
    Vernor's isn't very limited, it is on grocery store shelfs here in Colorado, its a nice ginger ale, but I found it to be very mainstream, real sugary and syrupy; it did have a ginger bite to it though. Came off as a Canada Dry with a little more ginger, and being a little more viscous.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Give this a try.....

Ginger Syrup
    cup sugar (fine turbinado)
    cup water
    lb. fresh ginger root (peeled and finely grated)

In a small saucepan bring the sugar, water, and ginger to a boil. Turn off the heat, and allow to steep and cool for one hour. Strain off the ginger pieces, and reserve the syrup.

Add a bit of seltzer and the bourbon of your choice. I don't peel my ginger and find that adds a bit more zip. Use the freshest ginger you can find as I feel it loses heat as it gets older....
    I also recommend trying this recipe. I've made a few batches of this up and it is fantastic.