Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Best ginger ales/brews for bourbon/rye

Ale 8 One... Why are we talking about the rest.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

I prefer Schweppes Ginger Ale, but haven't had a different one in years. Schweppes is probably the best in europe. Haven't tasted any non-european ginger ales. On vacation in Los Angeles (2004) i had some bourbon with ginger ale on different clubs along sunset strip and they all tasted great, but dunno which brands.
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Ale 8 One... Why are we talking about the rest.
    Agreed, Ale 8 is king. Although there are some very good others they are 5x the price.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I agree that Ale-8-One is number one, but I can't haul enough Ale-8-One to Chicago to fix me between Kentucky trips.

Also, most of the boutique ginger ales are sharper, more bitter, so good if you're in that kind of mood.

In what I can get here at Ale-8-One type prices, I prefer Seagram's and Canada Dry, but I'd rather have Ale-8-One.

I keep bugging people at Binny's to start bringing it in. They got Very Old Barton, after all.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I agree that Ale-8-One is number one, but I can't haul enough Ale-8-One to Chicago to fix me between Kentucky trips.

Also, most of the boutique ginger ales are sharper, more bitter, so good if you're in that kind of mood.

In what I can get here at Ale-8-One type prices, I prefer Seagram's and Canada Dry, but I'd rather have Ale-8-One.

I keep bugging people at Binny's to start bringing it in. They got Very Old Barton, after all.
    Ale-8-One (and the 6 year HH BIB) not even sold in the western Kentucky, Henderson/Owensboro area, either. I have to go there several times a year and sure keep looking. My case I brought back from Bardstown in September is nothing but empty bottles now too.

Adding insult to injury in my visits to that area is the recent closing of Ralph's Hickory Pit BBQ in Henderson. I'm still not over the shuttering of the Shady Rest BBQ in Owensboro and now this .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

No Ale-8-One in Western KY? I can pick it up on shelves as far north as Dayton as well as throughout N KY/Cincinnati area. I had a childhood friend whose dad made several trips a year to KY to pick the stuff up. It's not bad, but much sweeter than I'm looking for.

For those in Cincinnati, I recommend The Comet's special. I forgot what they call it, but it's their homemade ginger ale with (crown or jack or something) - the point is that you can order it with WT 101 and it's fantastic. Nice ginger heat with tons of thick body on it. If you haven't been, their tofu jerk burrito is awesome as well; far superior to the chicken, which I have found to be dry on several occasions.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    No Ale-8-One in Western KY? ...
    I've looked but not come across. Here is a link to their distribution map which shows an absence in western Kentucky...though it does seem to indicate the Henderson/Owensboro area could have it??? Maybe I have to look better. http://ale8one.com/sales
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I sometimes have trouble finding it even in Louisville. I haven't figured out anyplace that always has it in good supply. My last stock came in Louisville, where the first Kroger's didn't have any and the second only had four six-packs, all of which I bought. Now I have a friend here hooked on the stuff, so I have to share.

Yet I once found a huge supply of it in a Walmart in Mansfield, Ohio, so go figure.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Give this a try.....

Ginger Syrup
    cup sugar (fine turbinado)
    cup water
    lb. fresh ginger root (peeled and finely grated)
    In a small saucepan bring the sugar, water, and ginger to a boil. Turn off the heat, and allow to steep and cool for one hour. Strain off the ginger pieces, and reserve the syrup.

Add a bit of seltzer and the bourbon of your choice. I don't peel my ginger and find that adds a bit more zip. Use the freshest ginger you can find as I feel it loses heat as it gets older....
    A most excellent post Reid, you should post more often here on SB.com.
    ovh

Novice

Just out of curiousity, how much ginger ale do you guys use? I typically use about a 4-1.5 ratio.