Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Disciple

Re: Best ginger ales/brews for bourbon/rye

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Red Rock is another one that will kick you in the throat if you're not careful. Very spicy.
    I picked up a six pack of Red Rock and you're right - it does kick you a bit. After the initially shock of spiciness, I find that this makes a very good bourbon and ginger, especially as the ice melts in the glass some. I had a couple of these last night, and it was a great way to relax after work.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Anyone I know who is traveling I-95 between SC and Virginia I get to stop and pick some up... always sitting on a case or two.
    You can order it on their website but the shipping is almost as much as the 24 pack (smallest quantity they'll ship)

Novice

Oh man, I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. We serve Blenheim Red Cap (I think it's more pink than red, but that's whatever) out of our food cart, nothing goes better with pork belly buns. It is by far my favorite.

I haven't seen anyone mention Bruce Cost Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale, it's also pretty good and purports to be the only widely distributed ginger ale to use fresh ginger, you can see little bits floating around. It's no Blenheim's, but it's worth a taste. It tastes like Japanese ginger iced tea.

As for Vernor's, it was originally a small, family owned company in Detroit, making a quality ginger ale that old timers around here go all starry eyed talking about. At some point it was sold off and eventually wound up in the Pepsi-Cola family, who started producing it on a massive scale (not in Detroit) and distributing it far and wide.

The Boston Cooler also comes from Detroit, a vanilla ice cream and Vernor's milkshake that my dad introduced to me when I was just a little feller. Last summer, in a heat wave fueled fever dream, I made myself a boston cooler subbing Blenheim's red cap and adding, yup, you guessed it, a couple o' shots of the good stuff. Not how I want to enjoy my bourbon every night, but a damn fine treat every now and then.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peterlake View Post
    Oh man, I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. We serve Blenheim Red Cap (I think it's more pink than red, but that's whatever) out of our food cart, nothing goes better with pork belly buns. It is by far my favorite.

I haven't seen anyone mention Bruce Cost Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale, it's also pretty good and purports to be the only widely distributed ginger ale to use fresh ginger, you can see little bits floating around. It's no Blenheim's, but it's worth a taste. It tastes like Japanese ginger iced tea.

As for Vernor's, it was originally a small, family owned company in Detroit, making a quality ginger ale that old timers around here go all starry eyed talking about. At some point it was sold off and eventually wound up in the Pepsi-Cola family, who started producing it on a massive scale (not in Detroit) and distributing it far and wide.

The Boston Cooler also comes from Detroit, a vanilla ice cream and Vernor's milkshake that my dad introduced to me when I was just a little feller. Last summer, in a heat wave fueled fever dream, I made myself a boston cooler subbing Blenheim's red cap and adding, yup, you guessed it, a couple o' shots of the good stuff. Not how I want to enjoy my bourbon every night, but a damn fine treat every now and then.
    Being from Atlanta, I try and avoid anything Pepsi. Coke ONLY here, thank you... Hyeevah, I have loved Vernor's for years. It still tickles my nose if I breathe it in right after pouring. And, does make one great bourbon and ginger cocktail. So, if Pepsi owns it, they ain't screwed it up as far as I can tell. Damn....Did I just say that??!!??!!?? I'm...a...Dead Man....
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Much love for Vernor's here. I mix it with lemonade for a Pimm's cup, or with Drambuie and ice. So smoove...

I've also been experimenting with some G-ales for some whiskey cocktails I've been making. Vernor's is a tad too sweet and not enough spicy BITE for what I'm going for, even though it's way better than Schwepps/Seagrams/etc. Hence, I've picked up a couple four packs of Reed's ginger ale and ginger brew. I'll let you know what I concoct.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by peterlake View Post

My wife frequently pulls out the smoothie maker during the summer for our kids. I'm going to try this drink the next time she makes some drinks.

Seriously...how can it NOT be Bundaberg's Ginger Beer?

I mean...c'mon, family. This isn't a competition AT ALL, really. Think about it as brewery/distillery fanatics - This stuff is brewed like a beer, it's got some yeasty sediment in it, it should be rolled on the counter to reincorporate all of it's gingery bits in it...and it makes the BEST "Rye n Stormy" of all time....I make one of these almost weekly!

2oz Ritt
    3 healthy dashes of Angostura
    .5oz 1:1 homemade simple syrup
    Ice
    Fill with Bundaberg

Serve with a slice of fresh ginger root or flamed orange, depending upon how swanky/motivated you feel.

Nothing is better.

Vernor's = too sweet, too light

Reed's = spicy, but thin...too sweet

Schweppes = LOL...seriously?

If you don't know Bundaberg, go get it...you'll be glad you did.