Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Very Low-End Bourbon

Brand new to this site and I've heard great things about it.

I just got started in Bourbon. I dont know if people care but I've a huge scotch collection with a few bottles worth over $1000 and then a lot of the standard fare.

Bourbon has really won me over due to its great price and wonderful palate. I've since tried about 30 different bourbons and I love almost all of them...I'm only a bit standoffish on Bookers b/c it is so damned "hot".

So I'll just say it - I'm a snob. I dont usually drink low-end stuff. But recently I went through a bottle of "just" Jack Daniel's Black label and it was absolutely amazingly good to sip. I only drink neat w/ maybe water if it is too hot.

It gets me to wondering. What about those really low-end bourbons at the store? The names aren't coming to me real easy but things like "Old Times" or...hell, i cannot even think of names. How do they serve as just simple sippin whiskeys?

Disciple

Re: Very Low-End Bourbon

It's been said a million times on here, but try some OGD, and some VOB. And I happen to like AAA 10 Star.

Two things: one - I hope that i didnt post an old and beaten topic. I never like being "that guy". Two - could you please spell out those abbreviations. I'm embarrassed to say I'm unaware of what those stand for.

But thank you so much for the advice. Obviously i dont mind spending money on liquor at all. With that said I absolutely love having something I can drink copious quantities of with no worries on the wallet. For me, that requires something that does not cost more than $20 for a 750ml bottle.

Advanced Taster

Four Roses Yellow Label would probably do you just fine
    Ryan

Virtuoso

Here are a couple good threads on the subject.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=16214

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ighlight=cheap

There is a wealth of very good bourbon in the $15-20 range (allowing for regional price variations). In addition to those mentioned already, pretty much any of the Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond labels, as well as Fighting Cock, are great values. Elijah Craig 12 year old. Weller Special Reserve. Old Forester Signature. Also George Dickel #8 and #12 are great in their own way. Beam white and black labels if you like their profile. The list could go on forever.

It would probably be easier to make a list of bottom shelfers to avoid.

Connoisseur

Hey Dream Theater, good to have you aboard.

You will learn an immense amount by using the search function on the site: I have spent hours and hours cruising around old threads. Type in, "cheap" (as a "subject only" word) and you'll get lots of threads on the very question you asked, cheap good bourbon. Type in the word, "wheater", and you'll begin to understand the differences between rye based and wheat based bourbons. Type in "abbreviations" and you'll learn that OGD means, "Old Grad Dad."

At $20 per bottle, I'd suggest Rittenhouse Rye BIB, OGD, or Weller 12. This last suggestion might not be plausible in your area, as Weller 12 is not available everywhere, and while I can get it for $20 (plus tax), it's usually more in most places. But it is great whiskey. It is the poor man's Van Winkle Lot B.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    It's been said a million times on here, but try some OGD, and some VOB. And I happen to like AAA 10 Star.
    OGD: Old Grand Dad. I would go with the 114.

VOB: Very Old Barton. I would go with the BIB(Bottled in Bond.)

AAA: Ancient Ancient Age.

Also, in the "New" forum there is a sticky at the top with all the abbreviations.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Hey Dream Theater, good to have you aboard.

You will learn an immense amount by using the search function on the site: I have spent hours and hours cruising around old threads. Type in, "cheap" (as a "subject only" word) and you'll get lots of threads on the very question you asked, cheap good bourbon. Type in the word, "wheater", and you'll begin to understand the differences between rye based and wheat based bourbons. Type in "abbreviations" and you'll learn that OGD means, "Old Grad Dad."

At $20 per bottle, I'd suggest Rittenhouse Rye BIB, OGD, or Weller 12. This last suggestion might not be plausible in your area, as Weller 12 is not available everywhere, and while I can get it for $20 (plus tax), it's usually more in most places. But it is great whiskey. It is the poor man's Van Winkle Lot B.
    Great suggestions, but I like to call Lot B overpriced Weller 12.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater View Post
    Brand new to this site and I've heard great things about it.

I just got started in Bourbon. I dont know if people care but I've a huge scotch collection with a few bottles worth over $1000 and then a lot of the standard fare.

Bourbon has really won me over due to its great price and wonderful palate. I've since tried about 30 different bourbons and I love almost all of them...I'm only a bit standoffish on Bookers b/c it is so damned "hot".

So I'll just say it - I'm a snob. I dont usually drink low-end stuff. But recently I went through a bottle of "just" Jack Daniel's Black label and it was absolutely amazingly good to sip. I only drink neat w/ maybe water if it is too hot.

It gets me to wondering. What about those really low-end bourbons at the store? The names aren't coming to me real easy but things like "Old Times" or...hell, i cannot even think of names. How do they serve as just simple sippin whiskeys?
    Booker's is quite "hot." Unlike Scotch, Bourbon proof can greatly increase with time in barrel, due to the weather conditions of Kentucky, so some older cask strength releases may even reach 130 and beyond.

And if I had my way, all releases would be cask strength, and I'll do my own cutting, thank you very much. The problem with Booker's, IMHO, is that it starts off way hot, but as you cut it, it only becomes thin. This is not the case with other cask strength Bourbons, but hey, I'm a Beam hater.

Advanced Taster

In that price range you are getting close to an Eagle Rare 10 year old. Its a single barrel, and if you get a good bottling can be one of best affordable bottles out there .