Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Mid-level wheaters

I am a fan of wheaters. Most of my experience is with various VW products and some Weller. I am not a fan of Maker's. I do like the 46, but feel it is overpriced compared to other bourbons. It would be nice to be able to drink Pappy, JPS, etc everyday, but not realistic.

How does the current Weller 12 compare to the current Old Fitz 12?
    OWA vs OFBIB?

Any wheaters in the $20-25 range that I'm missing?

Guru

Re: Mid-level wheaters

In that price range I'd go with the OWA.
    The Weller 12 just seems to be lacking to much for me.
    I suppose you could do a vatting of Weller 12 and OWA, let's say 2 parts OWA & 1 part WLW 12, might work.
    But I think it is well worth it to lay down an extra 15 bucks and get an ORVW 10/107.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    But I think it is well worth it to lay down an extra 15 bucks and get an ORVW 10/107.
    Daaaaaamn Riiiiiight. Given the choice, I would take the ORVW 107 every time.

Virtuoso

I tried Rebel Reserve the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Mighty good whiskey for $20 or less

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    I tried Rebel Reserve the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Mighty good whiskey for $20 or less
    I've had Rebel Yell and didn't care much for it and never tried the reserve. How do they compare?

Connoisseur

I popped the top on a handle of Weller 12 the other day, that is the smoothest, easiest to drink of the Weller products in my opinion. The OWA is really good too, I think the proof helps with the balance of sweet and heat. SR is just OK in my eyes.

Have not had the opportunity to taste ORVW. I don't think it makes it out here very often, and when it does I think it's snatched up quickly.

Connoisseur

Which one is more complex to you? Complex isn't always good if it's imbalanced, but I would like to get one of the two (the 12 or the OWA) and I want something that I won't get bored of.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    I popped the top on a handle of Weller 12 the other day, that is the smoothest, easiest to drink of the Weller products in my opinion. The OWA is really good too, I think the proof helps with the balance of sweet and heat. SR is just OK in my eyes.

Have not had the opportunity to taste ORVW. I don't think it makes it out here very often, and when it does I think it's snatched up quickly.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Which one is more complex to you? Complex isn't always good if it's imbalanced, but I would like to get one of the two (the 12 or the OWA) and I want something that I won't get bored of.
    I preferred the 12 over the antique, personally. Either is a good purchase, both is better; but if I had to choose one that's the way I'd go.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    I preferred the 12 over the antique, personally. Either is a good purchase, both is better; but if I had to choose one that's the way I'd go.
    I agree. Though as you said, they're both excellent and should be judged on their own merits.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

As most of you know, I love wheaters, especially Weller. My general rule of thumb:

No brainer-in other words, when I want a pour I don't have to think about=Weller SR

Something a little nice- When I want something with a little more flavor and complexity=Weller 12

A little extra-For those days when I want a pour with just a little more kick=OWA

Like I said, just a general rule of thumb. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"