Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Mid-level wheaters

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I've had Rebel Yell and didn't care much for it and never tried the reserve. How do they compare?
    We got to try them back to back. It was night and day. The Yell is quite watery with little flavor, the Reserve is bold and actually tastes good

Advanced Taster

I have never been able to get the Old Rip on a regular bases, so my daily pour of late has been the Weller Antique. I did buy a bottle of the WL Weller Special Reserve for some bourbon marinade because it was a bit cheaper than the Antique; and naturally poured a dab in the cook too. I found it to be a very pleasant drink, perhaps a bit sweeter with a little more vanilla than the Antique and went great with the Cuban Cohiba maduro I smoked while the roast was marinading.

Enthusiast

I'll take any current Weller over OF, I found OFBIB to be very bland and had to use it as a mixer to finish it.

After reading this thread, I'm enjoying a 1:1 vatting of OWA107 and W12. Very nice pour. OWA tends to be too hot for me sometimes and W12 is nice, but low proof. Vatting these gives me near that 100 proof sweet spot and comes out very balanced and sweet.

Enthusiast

I've had most of what's available and I really like OWSR for a regular pour. A friend of mine brought a bottle over and apologized because he knows I'm a bourbon snob, but he was happy to see how much I enjoy it. It is just a smooth pour every time. It gets extra points in my book for being relatively inexpensive and easy to find. I haven't opened my Weller 12 yet, and I imagine I'll enjoy that even more.
    I find I don't like the ORVW 10/107 as much as the Weller and certainly no where near as much as Pappy 15 (all three are open on my bar, plus BTAC WLW). Don't get me wrong, I LIKE it, but hear me out: If it is a special occassion, I go for the Pappy 15. If it is just a nice drink I go for the Weller. The ORVW fits in there somewhere in between, but I just don't reach for it as frequently.

That said, I'm not as fond of the high proof whiskeys some members here prefer. I do tend to cut them down between 90-100 pf.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Connoisseur

You asked about complexity. OWA to me is more complex, coming close to a standard rye whiskey on the "burn". But the flavors in 12 are a little more balanced.

I reach for the Weller 12 more than the OWA though, just my preference.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    You asked about complexity. OWA to me is more complex, coming close to a standard rye whiskey on the "burn". But the flavors in 12 are a little more balanced.

I reach for the Weller 12 more than the OWA though, just my preference.
    I like them both as well but prefer the proof of OWA. It's pretty much become my go to pour.

The 12 can be fantastic and I like that a lot too but faced with a case purchase decision I have to go with OWA.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    I like them both as well but prefer the proof of OWA. It's pretty much become my go to pour.
    Same here...a man of good taste that Robert is .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Same here...a man of good taste that Robert is .
    A true compliment indeed from a man with a palette such as yours.............

Mr.
    BTOTY 2011!
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Maybe I'm crazy but I don't like the Weller 12 that much. I think the reserve is pretty good, so I was excited about the 12 and when I finally had some I was disappointed. To me it's showing too much wood. I'll have to revisit it now that it's been open a good while. My order of preference:

OWA
    OWSR
    OW12

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post

How does the current Weller 12 compare to the current Old Fitz 12?
    OWA vs OFBIB?

Any wheaters in the $20-25 range that I'm missing?
    I taste a lot more vanilla and carmel type flavors in the Weller 12, compared to Old Fitz 12. Weller 12 is one of my favorites, and not crazy expensive. I'm also a fan of OWA. The Old Fitz 12 is ok, but similar to the BIB version more than I expected.