Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Town Branch Bourbon

Alltech has started selling their Town Branch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey in Lexington. If anyone's had the chance to try some I'm interested hearing your opinion.

[photo from The Bourbon Review facebook page]

Advanced Taster

Re: Town Branch Bourbon

I like the packaging. Love to hear reviews too.

Virtuoso
    That is a pretty sweet bottle. Price?

Advanced Taster

I've been told it is $23.99 at liquor barn. Planning on finding out in a couple days.

Virtuoso

Does anyone know is this sourced or did they distill it?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Does anyone know is this sourced or did they distill it?
    "Production of the ales, whiskey and after-dinner drink has outgrown the existing buildings, and the new distillery will provide needed expansion. Also, for about four years, the company has made the bourbon that it will formally unveil in a few months.

That bourbon is stored in hundreds of barrels in a warehouse in Bardstown, "quietly maturing," Lyons said. Alltech has bought a 300,000 square-foot commercial building on Angliana Avenue formerly headquarters for Eagle Beer Distributors and will store the bourbon barrels there once production is ramped up.

Initially, the distillery will produce 1,000 cases of bourbon, but Lyons said production could reach 40,000 to 80,000 cases."

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/09/10/1...r-bourbon.html

Novice

I got 2 bottles of Town Branch last week - one for me, and one for a present for a friend..

Got it home and tried it, and it really was a shock - the taste bordered on being foul, and I won't be giving the bottle away as a present.

I think Lexington Brewing Company has a great beer in their Bourbon Barrel Ale, and I keep some of it around for company and take it on trips out of town for others to enjoy.. But Pearce Lyons seems to be trying to make a great scotch maybe? I saw him on the news coverage of it last week, and he said they were making a premier "whiskey", he didn't use the word Bourbon, and his accent is foreign. If I had been served it without knowing what it was, I actually might have thought it to be a scotch.

I hate that to be my first post, as I enjoy Bourbon and trying new (to me) bourbons, But I really didn't like Town Branch at all.

I just read that linked article - Pearce Lyons is the Distiller (the bottle I got are signed), and he's the Alltech Company president (has alot more products than Bourbons to worry about), but it says "The distillery also will produce Pearse Lyons Reserve whiskey and Bluegrass Sundown, an after-dinner bourbon-and-coffee beverage."

I think they are marketing, not making good Bourbon.

R
    Last edited by PJFZ1; 10-24-2011 at 09:48.

Advanced Taster

PJFZ. Your comments about Town Branch surprise me not. I had a taste over the weekend and all I will say is I will not buy a bottle anytime soon. I may try again in a few months but doubtful unless I see better reviews.

The Pearse Lyons Reserve is terrible IMHO as well, but that's another issue.

Novice

kyrock - I saw this thread and your earlier comment and then signed up on the forum - I'm just north of you and was going to wanr you.. Maybe we can get together and have a bourbon sometime..

Novice
    I bought a bottle this past weekend for a friends birthday. We opened it and I apologized immediately. Smell was awful, taste was wretched, nice bottle though. Lol